• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know if this is true or not but....If you hold a rabbit close to your chest, doesn't your heartbeat calm him/her down? Like a baby is calm and feels safe when it can hear its mothers heartbeat? I don't know if this 100% true though :oops:

Whenever I handle my rabbits I hold them against my chest and it does settle them. I think it might be because of the heartbeat as Abi has said, but also because they aren't being 'dangled', they feel more anchored being held against your chest. If you see the way Jack's Jane holds her bunnies in her picture threads (I've said this before I know on a different thread, sorry Jane I'm honestly not stalking you :lol:), this is the way I hold my bunnies and even the strugglers are calm :)

Try to handle him often but come down on the ground to pet him sometimes as well or he'll expect to be picked up every time you come near him :wave:

When you pick him up, have you been stroking him first? Both my two will struggle if i go straight in to pick them up but if they have a rub on the head and a stroke first they dont generally complain :)

I have found that i can hold my unhandable buns when i can take tehm out of a carrier. I think its the act of being picked up they dislike. They were very happy exploring my knee and the sofa and geting strokes there.

It was great, he didn't struggle and he was so calm.
Does Spenser not like it either?

Spenser regards being picked up as a great affront on his bunny dignity. This is partly because he was 7 months old when I got him, and I suspect was not used to regular handling. He usually launches intoa long and elaborate process of washing himself when he is put down or manages to wriggle free.

Well I've tried picking him up, maybe I'm not doing it properly. Maybe its my own fault hes fussy as I didn't handle him loads as a youngun because I wasn't confident. He still struggles :( people have said be confident and I try but he feels my hand on his bottom and he legs it under the bed :(

Although he is being much more loving now, and climbs on me on his own accord, I just want to make it easier when he goes to the vets. I don't want to hurt him or frighten him.

Riley HATES being picked up but I have to do it often to check his bum, etc.
As soon as I touch his bum he is off like a racing car! I kind of have to pick him up really quickly :lol:
Riley won't let me pick him up but he will be happy to climb on me and lie on my lap for a few minutes but I am happy with this, it just means I have to work on gaining his trust :thumb:

Back