• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny thats a fussy eater......

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I have an outdoor bunny, Tessy, who is now a lone rabbit after her hutch mates passed away. Mum says I am not allowed another rabbit, plus, Tessy is 7.

Anyways, shes fairly healthy and gets alot of attention and is thoroughly spoilt by me, lol.

SO, the problem is...... she is a fussy eater. She was brought up on muesli (because back in the days, I didnt know this was wrong). Ive tried so many times to get her to switch to pellets, but she wont budge. At the moment, we are on a 50/50 mix/pellet..... but she still leaves the majority of the food.

I have tried excel and SS (normal).

Have any of you had a bun like this? Do any of you know a pellet she might go mad for?? I hate it when she doesnt it, it makes me ever so worried :(

Oh dear, mind you if she has got to 7 it can't be too bad a diet for her. :) What muesli is she on? Spenser was on Rabbit Royale when I got him, but he was a selective feeder so I changed him to excel. Are her teeth OK ... just wondering if she might find the pellets too hard to crunch?

We had that problem with an eight year old and did just push on through. Same as with my Sandy, we just pushed on through and now Sandy devours whatever I give her. But I definitely agree with Susie about the teeth checking thing.

I have found some bunnies eat more if there is competition, could she be one like that? Would bonding her with Rimmi and Winter be an option?

We had that problem with an eight year old and did just push on through. Same as with my Sandy, we just pushed on through and now Sandy devours whatever I give her. But I definitely agree with Susie about the teeth checking thing.

I have found some bunnies eat more if there is competition, could she be one like that? Would bonding her with Rimmi and Winter be an option?

Shes an outdoor bun is one thing.... also, I worry about stressing her out, plus she is ALOT bigger than Rimmi and Winter..... I dont want to upset her by bringing her indoors into the noise..... you know? She currently lives in a very quiet garden, mum lives in a wee village, its lovely, I love going there because when you turn the light off at night, its actually dark!! Anyways..... here, its very noisy, especially where the buns live (the livingroom). Plus, when I brought Toby here, he refused to walk because he didnt like the flooring!! Lol!!

I can try and pester the bf, but I dont know whether its really the best thing for her to come indoors..... after 7 years of being outside?

Her teeth are fine, she went for her jabby 3 weeks ago now, and her teefs were checked then, she does nom plenty of hay.

As for what type of muesli..... I forget, I know mum likes to buy her one that smells of fruit or something as a treat :roll: and she has SS mixed in........ We used to feed them on the muesli you buy from pet shops, you know, where you can choose the one you want? One with split peas, the fruity one etc...... back in the day, we used to buy small bags and mix them up, buying different ones thinking 'variety is the spice of life' :shock: :roll: Blinking idiot I was. I think shes addicted to the sugar.

Wagg Bunny Brunch is muesli, Optimum is pellets. :)

I think I'd be tempted to try and bond her to Rimmi and Winter too. Perhaps if she's not really eating, she's not really happy? (That sounds quite harsh but I think of a better way to word it :oops:). Perhaps company would perk her up a bit and Rimmi and Winter could teach her how to stuff her face! :lol:

All Mueslis aren't bad you know... I would reccomend trying her on Chudley's Rabbit Royale. Noisette used to put her nose up to everything but she loves this. I've got her and Oscar on it now and I personally; think it's a very good mix as it's close to being natural.

I've no personal experience of elderly buns, but I think Rainbow Rabbits have quite often brought a former outdoor bun into the house with no problems - the opposite in some cases. Obviously you do have to consider the other inmates, but I wouldn't rule it out. If her teeth are OK and she seems generally healthy I wouldn't worry too much about her diet, although it would obviously be good if you could get her on pellets.

Back