• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming Ted and Rosie - I hate this :-(

martlou

Warren Veteran
We're going on hols in a couple of weeks and the buns are going to a bunny sitter. It's someone the rescue recommended and they seem like lovely people but we're having to worm Ted and Rosie and it's really distressing me. Rosie absolutely hates being picked up and she runs round stamping and grunting and when we manage to pick her up she looks terrified :(:( I don't know what kind of home she originally came from as she was found as a stray but I can only imagine it was horrible to be so frightened of being handled. We have another 7 days to go and already the very tenuous 'trust' we'd built with her over the last 18 months is being destroyed :(:(. We're already worried about leaving them as I don't want them to think they've been given away :(:( and it's really casting a shadow over our holiday which I had really been looking forward to :(:(

mine like there n a tasty bit of basil leaf or somthing strong smelling :D do it before dinner time so they are hungry anyway

Sorry your having a tough time with this. Hopefully they will settle back into routine after the holiday.

I trick mine into taking their wormer by squirting it into some brocolli. They're such piggies it works a treat :wave:
Please don't let it ruin your holiday...just work round her not wanting to be handled.

Duke was terrible at this, I dont think he has ever had a syringe anything in his life (!) but after Daisy he was getting treated...

not his most fave thing in the world and a couple of times we did sneak it into a treat (like someone said before supper so he was hungry) but we did try also to use the syringe as if he was ever ill we wanted him to have experienced it. He never made any noises but his breathing was quite loud and fast, i wrapped him up in a towel to make him feel more secure/safe and stroked the front of his head to help calm him while my hubby did the business end!

We were quite proud of our boy for letting us do it, much as he hates things like that he must trust us somewhere deep down in it all

Thanks for all your replies, it doesn't seem to have been as bad tonight. I did consider putting it on some food, but Rosie is very suspicious of anything different at all and anything new she will sniff then ignore which goes on for 3 or 4 days before she'll try it and I'm not sure she'd be fooled! We've approached it slightly differently tonight so I think we'll persevere with this way and see how it goes. if she wises up again quickly then I'll try the food thing.

Thank you.

Thanks for all your replies, it doesn't seem to have been as bad tonight. I did consider putting it on some food, but Rosie is very suspicious of anything different at all and anything new she will sniff then ignore which goes on for 3 or 4 days before she'll try it and I'm not sure she'd be fooled! We've approached it slightly differently tonight so I think we'll persevere with this way and see how it goes. if she wises up again quickly then I'll try the food thing.

Thank you.

Glad it went better tonight :)

Syringing can be a nightmare - my boys only started tolerating it after I'd discovered the fenugreek crunchies and they realised they'd get an extra one as a treat afterwards for being so brave :lol:

I dreaded worming mine when I first started doing it, and all 3 of them are different when giving it to, one of them loves the taste and as soon as u put the syringe near her its as if she opens her mouth for it lol, my sisters rabbit absolutely hates the syringe near his mouth, but will happily eat it of some veg or a biscuit treat thing, and my baby Digit, is also good when taking it to, he will even take it from you if you are laying down on the floor with him

Hopefully they will get used to it, she may be scared of that the syringe is near her mouth :)

Glad it went better tonight :)

Syringing can be a nightmare - my boys only started tolerating it after I'd discovered the fenugreek crunchies and they realised they'd get an extra one as a treat afterwards for being so brave :lol:

Thanks. They always get a treat after, but Rosie sulks and won't accept it. So, we've done it earlier tonight so they've still got some evening left to play, and then they'll get their bedtime treat as normal. We only had one stamp tonight from Rosie and that was when we were trying to catch Teddy and he was chasing her round. Funnily enough, the actual syringing is harder with Ted - he nearly ended up with it up his nose :lol:. Although Rosie tries to dig her way through Martyn's shoulder when he picks her up she will let me hold her head to get to her mouth, bless her little furry feet :D

you have reminded me i need to worm my two. Reggie does not fall for the hiding it in food trick as he is a bit funny about food. He will not be hand fed and often lets ruby eat before he does (i haven't worked out if he is being gentlemanly or he just wants to see if the food is safe to eat!!!!) he also hates being picked up :(

I understand why rescues Panacur, or with rabbits who may be exhibiting symptoms of EC, but I wonder if its necessary to do this otherwise???

Back