• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney disease

wench

Young Bun
My little Lulu has had what we thought was an infection in the last couple of months and underwent a course of antibiotics as a result. However, in the last couple of days the symptoms have come back even worse.

She is drinking loads, her wee smells strong of ammonia, she is getting urine burns and losing weight.

I took her to the vets tonight and he has recommended I book her in for blood tests and an xray. he said it could be anything from kidney disease or diabetes to cancer.

She is booked in on Wednesday. I guess I am just writing to see if anyone else has any other ideas? Other than the above symptoms she is eating fine and running around like normal. Lulu is a rescue rabbit so dont know of exact age but think shes around 3-4 years old.

This is a very anxious time as we lost Lulu's best friend Chewy in September to cancer. I am trying to stay positive and would appreciate if anyone has any ideas on what to do for Lulu?

You are doing the best thing you can for Lulu by getting the tests done. I hope all goes well at the vets on Wednesday.
sue:wave:

I've had two buns with cancer and one with kidney problems so I know what you are going through like sdf76 said you are getting tests done and that's the best thing you can do for now. Hope they can do something for Lulu let us know how she goes on :wave:

Results

Good news -Lulu is back from the vets, all tests came back negative. So they are saying they think its just a bad infection and therefore shes on a course of antibiotics.

Under the vets advice we are keeping her indoors and she is sat there thumping away I think she is telling me she is not very pleased with me! I have brought her new boyfriend Winston in to keep her company and she has calmed down a bit. Fingers crossed the antibiotics will work.

Back