• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

if a bun screams during bonding...

Lucy screamed when we were bonding her and Zero. It was awful, but he never tried to hump her again :shock: and has never since

What was the context? Some rabbits are more vocal than others but it doesn't necessarily mean that bonding is impossible. A nervous bunny might find bonding very daunting but once they are bonding then a partner becomes a great source of comfort & support.

My five have completely unbonded themselves over the past 2 weeks, so I'm currently trying to rebond them as a four. During the decision over who was top female bun, the two females were spinning in circles with eachother and nipping and chasing. Then one of the females screamed. That made them both stop.

I stroked her on my lap for a bit and checked her over and no injuries. Now I've put her back in and they're still chasing but not to the same extent...

the two females were spinning in circles with eachother and nipping and chasing.

I think that's the issue rather than the scream as such. Personally I would not allow bunnies to spin in circles while bonding, it is bound to escalate into a fight so I'm not surprised that one of them screamed. You should be able to see when they're about to start circling, if you see that I would gently separate them and hold them apart (but in the same space) for about 10 seconds before releasing them again.

Of course if they constantly go straight back to each other then it's a sign that it's probably not going to work but usually it's something that calms down and stops if they are separated every time. They often just need time to calm down and trust that the other isn't going to attack them before this stops, so letting them get into circling isn't the best idea IMO.

I think that's the issue rather than the scream as such. Personally I would not allow bunnies to spin in circles while bonding, it is bound to escalate into a fight so I'm not surprised that one of them screamed. You should be able to see when they're about to start circling, if you see that I would gently separate them and hold them apart (but in the same space) for about 10 seconds before releasing them again.

Of course if they constantly go straight back to each other then it's a sign that it's probably not going to work but usually it's something that calms down and stops if they are separated every time. They often just need time to calm down and trust that the other isn't going to attack them before this stops, so letting them get into circling isn't the best idea IMO.

Thanks Santa for the advice. I personally am not qualified to bond them and don't have much experience in bonding, but I've asked a few people on here to do it and they've unfortunately been too busy, so I decided to try it myself. :oops:

Awww no need to :oops: you haven't got a lot of choice if there's no-one around who can help! It is a tricky balance knowing when to intervene and when to leave them, and every bond is different so there's really no one formula that works for all. Prior experience definitely helps but only because we all learn through our own experience and mistakes as to what seems to work, Bunnies haven't read the text book and act accordingly unfortunately.

Personally I err more on the side of caution to start with and gently hold them separately if they start to look as if they are going to circle or approach each other with their tails up and ears back. As time goes on their body language tends to change a bit as they relax and get used to each other, and then you can start to hover rather than intervene and they may stop just by you shouting a sharp 'oi' and/or putting a hand towards one of them.

Are they separated at the moment or all back in together?

Awww no need to :oops: you haven't got a lot of choice if there's no-one around who can help! It is a tricky balance knowing when to intervene and when to leave them, and every bond is different so there's really no one formula that works for all. Prior experience definitely helps but only because we all learn through our own experience and mistakes as to what seems to work, Bunnies haven't read the text book and act accordingly unfortunately.

Personally I err more on the side of caution to start with and gently hold them separately if they start to look as if they are going to circle or approach each other with their tails up and ears back. As time goes on their body language tends to change a bit as they relax and get used to each other, and then you can start to hover rather than intervene and they may stop just by you shouting a sharp 'oi' and/or putting a hand towards one of them.

Are they separated at the moment or all back in together?

I agree 100% of this. She's a smart lady, this Santa girl :)

They're all lying together now and I've calmed down a bit. These four basically do get on - it's just the issues with Ruby (the fifth bun) which have caused tensions between them. She will attack at the slightest opportunity and she is now outside in the shed by herself. Really sad, but if she doesn't want to get on with them, I can't force her. I've done a lot of pulling her back and holding her apart from the buns she's attacking, but she goes for them again as soon as I pull back.

I really don't want to have a four and a one!!!

Thanks for your advice Santa, it's really appreciated.

She will attack at the slightest opportunity and she is now outside in the shed by herself. Really sad, but if she doesn't want to get on with them, I can't force her. I've done a lot of pulling her back and holding her apart from the buns she's attacking, but she goes for them again as soon as I pull back.

When you say she's outside in the shed by herself, do you mean you've decided to call it a day with her and have taken her out of the group and the other four are all getting along? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not clear on whether you mean they are all in together but four are 'together' and she has chosen to sit elsewhere, or whether you mean that you've separated her?

When you say she's outside in the shed by herself, do you mean you've decided to call it a day with her and have taken her out of the group and the other four are all getting along? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not clear on whether you mean they are all in together but four are 'together' and she has chosen to sit elsewhere, or whether you mean that you've separated her?

I've separated her from the others because she attacks them too much. I really want her to be part of the group, but she's too vicious towards the girls. I put all five in first and then took her out. The scream came after she left because Ruby leaving left the two girls to work out who was boss.

could you put her with one of the girls os you ave a three and a pair? or is she dominant and attacks all of them? di you try making the space a)smaller and b) bigger as sometimes the change helps x

Kate, I would just concentrate on getting the four back together. I wouldnt take out any boys to keep Ruby company and I would leave them together. Hopefully it will work out with the four and, if not, you might have to go back to rebonding in a smaller space again.

Hopefully, he will allow you to just have Ruby as a house rabbit.

thanks guys... I now have four bonded and Ruby on her own. IN an ideal world she'd be with them (as she's miserable without them) but she refuses to. :(

I should be grateful that the four are at least back together.

Does Fat Fluffs holiday board? If they do, maybe they might get Ruby back in the group whilst you are in India.

Back