• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you hoover when your bunnies are there?

Im really sorry for all the questions, but ive never had my buns indoors before.

Do you just hoover when they are in the room? Or do shepherd them to another room?

Another thing that crossed my mind this morning. What about cleaning products like air fresheners, febreeze and polish? Also, health/heauty products like perfume, body sprays, deoderant and hair spray?

some bunnies I have to actually pick up and move in order to hoover under them:lol::lol: others make their own way out of the path of the hoover!

I never use an air freshener in a room with buns (actually Inever use them full stop as they give me asthma), but do use spray windowlene and polish etc.

I would never use hair spray or spray deoderant etc etc as it gives me asthma - so I guess if it does that to a human its going to be not so good for a bun either,

Last edited:
some bunnies I have to actually pick up and move in order to hoover under them:lol::lol: others make their own way out of the path of the hoover!

I never use an air freshener in a room with buns (actually Inever use them full stop as they give me asthma), but do use spray windowlene and polish etc.

I dont really use air freshner actually, only once in a while. I usually open a window or spray the carpets/upholstry with febreeze.

I had been using white vinegar to spray the bunny blankets untill i can get some lino. I dont want dad saying he can smell pee, before theyve had a chance to be litter trained! :lol: Doesnt smell nice either, but when dad smells it, he deffo wont be able to smell any urine! :lol:

yup, they dont seem fussed at all. Pearl used to react really badly to the hoover so i used to call her into the other room before i hoovered.

Tobt Rabbit isn't bother by the hoover & he will always come into the room I'm hoovering just to see what I'm doing. When I turn the hoover off, Toby usually takes advantage & bites a lump out of the rubber going round the hoovers side.

I don't use any spray polish or air fresheners as I don't like the chemical smell or think they're any good for me or Toby but I do sometimes use pure aromatherapy oils to make a room smell nice. I just put a few drops on a paper hanky & slip it behind a radiator.

When my two are in the house, I still hoover (I used to try to avoid it but they don't seem bothered).

I don't use any spray/chemicals around them though, I didn't when I had the hamsters in my bedroom in the winter either.

Ok, thanks for that. It only occured to me as i had the mr sheen out to polish my furniture, im not sure i could do without the polish as my room gets quite dusty pretty quickly and i have pine furniture :? ... no doubt the buns will chew it to bits :shock:

I think ill look into the aromatherapy oils though, i could always buy one of those things that you put the oil in and burn with a tea light. i cant remember what theyre called! :oops:

Ok, thanks for that. It only occured to me as i had the mr sheen out to polish my furniture, im not sure i could do without the polish as my room gets quite dusty pretty quickly and i have pine furniture :? ... no doubt the buns will chew it to bits :shock:

I think ill look into the aromatherapy oils though, i could always buy one of those things that you put the oil in and burn with a tea light. i cant remember what theyre called! :oops:

a good airing with all the windows open is a far better way to make the house fresh than expensive air fresheners anyhows :p

I hoover whilst the buns are there, but have to watch where the cable is as they will always try and take a sneaky nibble.
I tend to put it up on furniture where possible.

I wouldn't use any commercial household cleaners or freshners anywhere near the buns (but I barely use any anyhow as I'm wary of unnecessary chemicals)

I don't like hoovering with mine around - I'm too scared of sucking them up it! Plus the cable, so normally i herd them into another room. They aren't too bothered about the hoover normally. Smudge normally hides under his chair where he feels safe. Nutmeg just had a small freakout though when Mum just turned the hoover on. That's not like her though, I think it must've surprised her.

Darcy loves following the hoover, sniffing it and then lying flat out in front of it! I think he just likes to "tell" it that He is in fact in charge around here...

I use candles and tee lights for smelling nice sometimes. In the hallway I use Febreeze air freshner which has something in it that kills odor. This is really to kill the smell coming from neighbours tobacco smoke and cooking. None of my buns live or have constant access to the hallway so its okay. I wouldn't spray it everywhere as I don't want them breathing it in or me with my ashtma.

Pierre is scared of the hoover but its more the noise. He gets scared of rustling of plastic bags yet he can define a biscuit wrapper noise or something that defines "yummy sugar". I still hoover as I have no where else to put him, its just the sudden start of the hoover which sends him under the bed but he doesn't thump or act extremely frightened. He has just sat nice and calmly in his cage a few times.

As for sprays I do spray deodrant but thats it and I always make sure hes busy chewing the other side of the room before I spray, I also usually have my window open to give fresh air.

Hmmmmm

You should take them out that room while vacuuming
Your actually not ment to keep them in the same room as a vacuum, TV and other loud objects
Hope this helps
Good luck, Sophie:bunny:

I missed the question about sprays - the only things I use are polish (sprayed onto a cloth, not the object) and perfumes (sprayed just before leaving the house and opposite side of the room to where the bunnies normally are). I don't use any air fresheners, I open the windows instead. Even just opening them a tiny bit normally gets a breeze through.

yeah they don't care, only rosie did she used to sit behind her carrot tree incase i sucked her up the hoover :shock: :lol:

It sounds to me like its just a case of them getting used to it, i wont allow them to be wandering around while i hoover up anyway so i dont think theres any danger to them. They already know the pen is their "safe zone" as they go straight back there if anything spooks them.

You should take them out that room while vacuuming
Your actually not ment to keep them in the same room as a vacuum, TV and other loud objects
Hope this helps
Good luck, Sophie:bunny:

I dont have a TV in my room, i got rid of it because theres no tv point for the areal and i watch TV, listen to music and play DVDs on my laptop anyway. Im not sure i agree with the loud noises thing. Apart from hoovering or the rare occasion that my brother will blare out his **** music, my room is quieter than outside. Their hutch was on the other side of the fence to a road and the kids used to go past making a racket on a morning and afternoon and when the bin men come round, even i worried about them, but it didnt bother them, because they were used to it.

They are bunnies, and if they were in the wild, they have a bigger threats than a loud hoover. Im sure it would be better if i didnt hoover up, but its kind of unavoidable. I apreciate your comment though :wave:

ETA: Does my brother count as a loud object? Im sure theres something i can do about that one! ;)

Last edited:
Back