• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Few questions about litter training

It would be really nice if i could train them both to go back to the litter tray to do their buisiness, especially when they are free ranging.

Is there anything i should know? Ive just been changing their litter tray daily, they wee in there although they occasionally miss but they poo all over the place!

Is there anything i can do to stop them missing?

They havent had any free range time yet as i read somewhere about restricting their space for a couple of days. When can i start letting them free range?

Any tips/advice would be great. The cleaner i can get them to be, the happier my parents will be!

It would be really nice if i could train them both to go back to the litter tray to do their buisiness, especially when they are free ranging.

Is there anything i should know? Ive just been changing their litter tray daily, they wee in there although they occasionally miss but they poo all over the place!

Is there anything i can do to stop them missing?

They havent had any free range time yet as i read somewhere about restricting their space for a couple of days. When can i start letting them free range?

Any tips/advice would be great. The cleaner i can get them to be, the happier my parents will be!

when i was training mine, if they ever did anything outside the box i would just put it into the box to let them know its where it belonged:lol:. i also used to leave it a day or so before cleaning the litter box out, so they knew where to go. putting some cheap bedding hay inside it, and their hay rack of eating hay above it also did the trick to get them to poo in there too as they spend a lot of time eating there and just get used to doing their business there:) good luck!

i had my stan in a pen till he new to use the litter tray then when he new what to do with the tray i let him be free range some times he will miss the tray but it only 1 every now and then and no ones perfect lol

when i was training mine, if they ever did anything outside the box i would just put it into the box to let them know its where it belonged:lol:. i also used to leave it a day or so before cleaning the litter box out, so they knew where to go. putting some cheap bedding hay inside it, and their hay rack of eating hay above it also did the trick to get them to poo in there too as they spend a lot of time eating there and just get used to doing their business there:) good luck!

I hope they learn quickly. Should i perhaps buy another litter tray or a bigger one?

Last edited:
Thanks,

What about the other things? Sorry, i must have been editing this while you were posting. x

oh sorry:)
benji used to "miss" quite a lot and i found that putting his veggies in the box, or his favourite toys (cardboard toilet roll tubes:roll:) in there encouraged him to get right inside it, and he just got used to going into the box properly and stopped missing.

also, having a really deep litter box helps a lot:)

I would definately suggest a deep tray. When I trained Peter he always sat in the tray but created a little 'fountain' and it used to go everywhere, since I got the deep tray it has resolved the problem:)

Back