• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to exersize outdoor bunnys in winter?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
how do you exersize a bunny in the freezing cold

i take it it would be too cold for the run and they couldnt come inside as they would have a shock when they went back out.

my stan is a house bunny but still go's out in winter for an hour or two soon tells me if the is too cold:)

I let mine get on with it...

They seem to cope very well in the cold and enjoyed playing in the snow :)

I have a snugglesafe heat pad but that gets ignored in favour of sitting in the run! :D

You'll find in the cold they'll be burning more energy to keep their body temperature up so thats as good as exercise. The bunnies don't seem to mind as they're quite happy to sit out in the cold in all weathers :)

Helen xx

As long as they are used to being outside then just give them the same opportunities for exercise as normal. Make sure they have somewhere dry and snug to come and warm up but you'll probably find they spend a lot of the time out and about even when they have the choice to be snugged up undercover.

out in all weather...

I find that even when the shed door or even my kitchen door is open my rabbits would rather be outside.. It can feel very cold to me but a bit of sun and there in it!.. I find they Binky about more on the lawn aswell.... I even have a hardy bun who would continue to graze even when its chucking it down with rain... Ive had to fetch her in and give her a rub down before ive put her back in the run...... If there used to being outside there quite hardy..

My lot are quite happy sitting in the cold, they soon snuggle up together to get warm. Even my house bun likes a play on the garden when it's cold, he has a shed to go to if it rains and just comes to the back door if he wants to come in! Buns are tough cookies! X

put them in thier run, As long as they have an area that is dry/ cosy with hay, and they dont get wet, they should be fine

hardy beings

Buns are fairly hardy. Ours free-range in the day in all but intensely bad weather. They have access to a hay-filled kennel, but never use it. They have places they huddle under bushes depending where the wind is coming from, and they seem to love their freedom. Much thumping of feet and sulking of face if we don't put them out.

is the run attached to the hutch so they could go back in if they were cold?

If you have to take them out of the hutch to put them in the run, put a cardboard box upside-down with one open end in the run. Keep an eye on them- if they stay in the cardboard box they are probably cold- if they stay out grazing they are ok. If they stop grazing and look hunched up they may be getting cold.

Try them for 15-20mins in the run and see what they do .

outdoor rabbits are generally ok in most weathers provided they can come in when they want.
sue:wave:

Back