• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage suggestions

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Can anyone suggest/recommend a good indoor rabbit cage

-must be cat and dog proof :)

-between like 50-60 pound, or lower!

xx

Is this for permanent accommodation? Just no indoor rabbit cage will be big enough - you need 6 foot long by 2 foot and 2 foot high. The best thing is to make your own out of panels designed for storage cubes.

Dog crates, you can get a 4ft x 3ft one on ebay for £40, and then install tiers to give extra space. You could also (if you have the space) buy two and join them together?

I agree with PixieRabbit - dog crates are a good idea. We have one but mine aren't shut in it as it's a bit small - limited room space! They are also very sturdy if you are worried about cats and dogs - though some rabbits won't be able to cope with dogs around.

Our NIC condo is actually strong enough to keep the dogs out. Our dogs are only 8kg and 11kg but still, that is a fair effort! If you added a roof on top, it could easily be cat proof.

I went with a normal indoor cage! it did come with another level but ofcourse he would nver of fitted in it so I took it out x

76218_1736522651517_1192116864_1973178_41884_n.jpg

I went with a normal indoor cage! it did come with another level but ofcourse he would nver of fitted in it so I took it out x

76218_1736522651517_1192116864_1973178_41884_n.jpg

I had this but it is far too small to shut a bun in :(

ETA: Wood shavings are also not reccomended for rabbits

I agree, much too small for a rabbit to be locked in :(

Why can't he freerange at night?

That does look awfully small for quite a large rabbit, how big is it exactly? How long will he be shut in for a day?

I have this indoor cage for Oscar (a netherland dwarf) and it is 120cm long:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/14083

I know it's not as much space as he probably needs all the time, but it was the best that I could afford, and he is only shut in at night/when we aren't at home. We have no other choice about that, landlady's orders :s

Why can't he freerange at night?

Yes this. It's something that seems to come up often on here. If something is suitable for free-ranging during the day it's should be fine for at night. Bunnies active time are early morning and late evening, so depending on when you shut them away you are likely to be cutting through at least one of those times, maybe both.

I used to do it simply because their room was a bit of a junk room and they might've hurt themselves and I spend most of my day in here with them, but our enclosure was nearly 6 foot, not that tiny.

Cubes all the way :) initially had a typical cage and didnt workout. Cubes mean you can be flexible and either rearrange, dissassemble or add more layers to it.

SDC10167.jpg

Mine started like this then got bigger, more layers and a lid when they got old enough to jump...

This was ours - pre-decorating and bunny-proofing. You can't see all the junk in this picture. :lol: Although Nutmeg could get on those boxes and get on top if she was really inclined. :roll:

Photo0225-vi.jpg

That does look awfully small for quite a large rabbit, how big is it exactly? How long will he be shut in for a day?

I have this indoor cage for Oscar (a netherland dwarf) and it is 120cm long:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/14083

I know it's not as much space as he probably needs all the time, but it was the best that I could afford, and he is only shut in at night/when we aren't at home. We have no other choice about that, landlady's orders :s

its 120cm maybe the pic makes it look smaller,

and same, smatir is ONLY in it at night!

Yes this. It's something that seems to come up often on here. If something is suitable for free-ranging during the day it's should be fine for at night. Bunnies active time are early morning and late evening, so depending on when you shut them away you are likely to be cutting through at least one of those times, maybe both.

I used to do it simply because their room was a bit of a junk room and they might've hurt themselves and I spend most of my day in here with them, but our enclosure was nearly 6 foot, not that tiny.

he goes in at what, midnight-1am and gets let out at 6am

Cubes all the way :) initially had a typical cage and didnt workout. Cubes mean you can be flexible and either rearrange, dissassemble or add more layers to it.

SDC10167.jpg

Mine started like this then got bigger, more layers and a lid when they got old enough to jump...

theirs no room to set one of these up, and my mum would neverrr let me! he has the whole concertetory to run around in during the day x

I had this but it is far too small to shut a bun in :(

ETA: Wood shavings are also not reccomended for rabbits

I have always kept them on sawdust! when out in their hutches, you can really keep them on anything else!

its 120cm maybe the pic makes it look smaller,

and same, smatir is ONLY in it at night!

It does look very small in the pics, especially in relation to your bunny...
This is our cage, with Oscar in the back nomming hay!

SN854444.jpg

I guess it does look quite small in the pic, but it's plenty big enough for him, and as I said, there isn't much else I can do at the moment...
Oh, and before anyone mentions, I know wood shavings is bad, I'm changing over to carefresh (I think) as soon as this bag runs out

It does look very small in the pics, especially in relation to your bunny...
This is our cage, with Oscar in the back nomming hay!

SN854444.jpg

I guess it does look quite small in the pic, but it's plenty big enough for him, and as I said, there isn't much else I can do at the moment...
Oh, and before anyone mentions, I know wood shavings is bad, I'm changing over to carefresh (I think) as soon as this bag runs out

hmm maybe its 110 then :/ not sure but he has loads of room to lie down etc and even caught him binkying on camera but it was blurry :(

Back