• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quite worried now?

Lops

Mama Doe
Some may know I have 2 sets of two (M&M and C&C)
I've already ordered a play house/run and the plan is to bond all four together soon.
My worry is, I've just been reading some posts on here of members that are doing this, and having problems with their 'already bonded' buns breaking :shock:

M&M's bond is almost 4 years old and very very strong, C&C have only been together for 6 months, not yet as strong as M&M's, but it is good :D

I would be absolutely gutted if their own bonds break, so I'm asking for your expertise on weather this is a good thing to try?
or should I just leave well alone?

Thanks in advance xxx

I personally would not risk breaking the bond of a happily bonded twosome, I don't ever feel the risks are worth it unless the owner is short on space or has no alternative, but that is just my opinion. We have considered it at times with our pair but to be honest all of us, buns included, are very happy with the status quo and I would just never risk upsetting their close bond.

I'm sure you will get many other replies that disagree with mine. It is just my personal opinion on bunny bonds.

ETA if you had four single buns then fair enough. I just wouldn't risk breaking a pair that are happy because it can and does go wrong.

I personally would not risk breaking the bond of a happily bonded twosome, I don't ever feel the risks are worth it unless the owner is short on space or has no alternative, but that is just my opinion. We have considered it at times with our pair but to be honest all of us, buns included, are very happy with the status quo and I would just never risk upsetting their close bond.

I'm sure you will get many other replies that disagree with mine. It is just my personal opinion on bunny bonds.

ETA if you had four single buns then fair enough. I just wouldn't risk breaking a pair that are happy because it can and does go wrong.

same here, i just wouldnt risk a possible 4 single buns.. i am a big wuss tho, i dont even do my own bonding lol

I personally would try it. I have had a situation where introduing a new pair started a fight, but it stopped as soon as new buns were removed.

First though - can they see each other at present? If there's a problen with referred aggression, I wouldn't attempt it

Do be prepared for the bonds to change aswell. My Polly & Rosie loved each other when I had a tiny group, but although they will eat together, they don't snuggle up the same, prefering the company of other rabbits.

Thank you x
All opinions are very welcome tho, if it helps me give the best for my buns x

Forgot to add in OP - they would most probably go to the rescue where they came from, to be bonded (if I go thru with it??) :lol:

I suppose I would think, if it were me, why am I doing this? If the reasons are in the best interest of the rabbits concerned then I would consider it. For example if you had a threesome where one bun was being a bit left out, then adding a fourth might stabilise the situation, or if space/family pressure etc was an issue and the only alternative was to rehome then perhaps I would consider it then also, but not lightly. I just wouldn't touch a happy closely bonded pair because I don't think that either the risks are worth it, nor that it is in the best interests of the rabbits simply to have all four together if it possible to continue to have two pairs. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound patronising or accusatory :oops: it's not meant to. I just think that many people (i'm not saying you) underestimate the upset and stress (and the effect this has on a bun's immune system and general health) changing and disturbing bunny relationships has, especially when it is not necessary.
I'm sure you have very good reasons for your decision and I respect this. Good luck with it all :)

First though - can they see each other at present? If there's a problen with referred aggression, I wouldn't attempt it

Their hutches are seperate ends of a long-ish patio so when one pair are out they get to see one-another thru the bars. There's not been any aggression between the couple but Malc will often sort of 'go for' Col (if its col thats out and malc thats in)...if its the other way round ...(malc out, col in) he doesn't do it :?

I suppose I would think, if it were me, why am I doing this? If the reasons are in the best interest of the rabbits concerned then I would consider it. For example if you had a threesome where one bun was being a bit left out, then adding a fourth might stabilise the situation, or if space/family pressure etc was an issue and the only alternative was to rehome then perhaps I would consider it then also, but not lightly. I just wouldn't touch a happy closely bonded pair because I don't think that either the risks are worth it, nor that it is in the best interests of the rabbits simply to have all four together if it possible to continue to have two pairs. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound patronising or accusatory :oops: it's not meant to. I just think that many people (i'm not saying you) underestimate the upset and stress (and the effect this has on a bun's immune system and general health) changing and disturbing bunny relationships has, especially when it is not necessary.
I'm sure you have very good reasons for your decision and I respect this. Good luck with it all :)

Not at all xxx

Tbh, the main reason I thought about it is that M&M are older and C&C are the younger ones and I thought if anything horrid was to happen I would hate for one of them to be alone, also I dont like C&C's hutch :shock:

So I thought ''I know, I'll get a p/house and put them all toghether'' but on reading the threads on here I'm worried!...either way round C&C get a new p/h cuz it's now ordered :D

xxx

Personally I think I would try it. I've heard of cases where bonds have been broken and the original pairs can not be bonded back together but never actually heard it from anyone with first hand experience of it happening - it seems rare.

I think if they can get more space (four bunnies sharing an 8x6 run, for example seems better to me than two bunnies sharing a 6x4) then it will be good for them and (and this is part of the reason I have a trio) I agree with your reasoning that if something should happen to one then you won't be left with a lone rabbit.

It's entirely your decision, only you really know your bunnies and can judge whether you think it would work or not. Just make sure you believe you're doing something that will benefit your rabbits and then even if it goes wrong you know you did it for the right reasons.

I also wouldn't place too much stock in referred aggression. My girls fought somewhat when Eli was running around near them and they have never been happier than they are as a trio.

I guess mine might be one of the threads you are referring to.:( Thankfully Widget and Sprocket are fine now that the other buns have gone (well other than the war wounds). But I wouldn't do it again. I think I might stick with my current two.

I'd give it ago. :D Mischief absolutely hated Jasper and I was told they would never bond because Mischief showed aggression through the bars. :? But now look at them, they are soooo in love, it's unbelievable! :love:

DSCF7808.jpg

I guess mine might be one of the threads you are referring to.:( Thankfully Widget and Sprocket are fine now that the other buns have gone (well other than the war wounds). But I wouldn't do it again. I think I might stick with my current two.

:wave: yeah, I have to admit I did read about yours, but please dont feel bad cuz I still 'might' go ahead... and if I dont, your thread may have saved be and my buns a big big deal!!! :thumb:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

no worries, I did get advice but some was conflicting. Obviously it didn't work out having two 4 month old girls (one of which wasn't yet spayed) moving in next door to an already established pair. But Widget was a different bun when we introduced her to a baby at a rescue a couple of months before.

I tried it - my lops have a strong bond that I don't think anything would weaken and as a four they would've have had triple the space. It started off fine but then we had an incident where they got into an un-neutralised room and one had to go to the vets. I tried again and it was ok at first but then again we had fighting, no vet trips but it was getting close to a full on fight. Fortunately none of the existing bonds broke, although the one between Smudge and Nutmeg weakened a bit as she was away from him for a couple of weeks while she healed.

I agree with PL, I wouldn't risk it unless there were large benefits to be had. I actually think now that, although it's wonderful to see four bunnies together, it's much easier to manage input and output and to spot any potential problems with two pairs than with a four. For instance, my lops need slightly more pellets and I've recently had Smudge go into stasis - these things would've been harder to manage in a four.

I.

I agree with PL, I wouldn't risk it unless there were large benefits to be had. I actually think now that, although it's wonderful to see four bunnies together, it's much easier to manage input and output and to spot any potential problems with two pairs than with a four. For instance, my lops need slightly more pellets and I've recently had Smudge go into stasis - these things would've been harder to manage in a four.

i have to agree with this i had a trio and because of this didnt notice one wasnt pooing........she never stopped eating and became too poorly to save. :cry: i feel very guilty for not noticeing so i will be sticking to pairs now. :) even tho i love groups. :D

Thanks to all of you for replying :wave:
It gives me something to think about.

I'm sorry some of you had some bad times bonding :cry: xxx

Back