• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experienced bonders - can you tell...

Not always, but sometimes. Often you can tell if there is potential there, but even that is not reliable when they bunnies get to know each other.

You would be looking for things like grooming, relaxed manner, lying together. However, that can all be there at the start and then dissipate, or you might have a bit of angst at the start and then things turn out well very quickly.

ETA- I wouldn't count myself as experienced as such, btu have done more than my fair share of bonding I reckon.

Last edited:
Chasing is usually fine so long as the chaser doesn't have their tail pointed up in the air and is making lunges to bite. I managed to bond two of my bunnies over 2 days despite the chasing.

Helen xx

I have done more than my share of bonding over the years and you tend to pick up things through 'gut feeling'.

Prior to bonding there is no way of knowing and usually it is the ones whom their owners are more confident about bonding as they lie side by side through the mesh etc or who are 'lovely laid back rabbits' are the ones which are more difficult.

Once you get going it is often the longer gaps between 'scuffles' which indicate that things are settling, commencement of grooming, confidence of both rabbits to groom themselves for long periods of time.

Usually you do get a 'kick off' somewhere between 24 - 48 hours after commencement of bonding where the one which ends up submisive tries to get to become top rabbit.

Prior to bonding there is no way of knowing and usually it is the ones whom their owners are more confident about bonding as they lie side by side through the mesh etc or who are 'lovely laid back rabbits' are the ones which are more difficult.

Totally agree with this. They can be so unpredictable. First bond I did with Bailey he was so submissive he kept being bullied. I removed him and bonded him with a laid back female expecting a smoother run and he suprised me by being the dominant one causing the trouble. Thankfully they settled in the end and he's very happy with his lady buns.

Back