• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free sites giving away pets

mrbunnylove

Warren Scout
I just wondered what people's opinions are on free sites (don't know if im allowed to name on here) like gumtree and freecycle etc?

Reason im asking is because i saw an ad on said site at the weekend for someone giving away rabbits. As i have mentioned before my neutered male Mr Bunnylove is very grumpy and charges at my biting even if i just put my hand down to stroke my female rabbit lulu or top up food dish.

I decided to leave him the big hutch with attached run so he can be left to his own devices and have access to run without me ever having to handle him as this upsets him.

Lulu my wee baby female is in the shed in a huge run on her own so as i came across someone giving away young rabbits i went to see them and of course came back with one. A black and tan female (not sure of breed). She's quite big compared to lulu and is 7 months (lulu only about 8 weeks). They got on instantly and lulu even snuggles up to the newbie who ive named 'Jessica' :love: I will take pics tonight and let you see.

I was wondering though if by me taking a rabbit off someone on gumtree would be seen a fuelling the trend where people give away animals or free (such as people who buy pups from backyard breeders) or would it been seen as i rescued her as anyone could have come to take her away :roll: i hope the others went to nice homes.

Just found a pic, she's the black one - white one had already been spoken for....

Can you tell me what kind of rabbit she is?

28861491.jpg

I think as long as your not paying for the animal your not really fueling anything. Was the person a breeder or just getting rid of their own pet rabbits?

I don't agree with it, but I do understand how people can be desparate and have to resort to it.

I'm glad at least the one you took has gone to a good home. Just make sure ob.v you get her vet checked and vacc'd.

I think as long as your not paying for the animal your not really fueling anything. Was the person a breeder or just getting rid of their own pet rabbits?

No i didn't pay anything she was giving them away for free. She said she had 2 rabbits originally but her neighbours male rabbit jumped the fence and got one of them pregnant two or three times now :shock: so she'd ended up with too many rabbits and needed to rehome some. I don't know why she'd not just got her female spayed :?

I will be getting both lulu and Jessica spayed next month if Lulu big enough. My vet said probably better to wait until beginning of next year for vaccinations as in the cold weather it wasn't really essential as bugs/fleas and things which spread germs were not around in winter :? i don't know?

I think there should be a way of doing it as sometimes you need to get rid for the health and safety of the animals, i had to recently get rid of our rats as they got so aggressive we couldnt clean them out of even feed them without being bitten and it wasnt fair on them or us as they didnt get the attention they needed, as for putting them up on freecycle or freegle as its now called in the uk that is not aloud as that site is for keeping things out of the landfill and putting animals up is not aloud (i was a moderator and any animals put up were taken off and the poster given addresses and numbers of places to talk to that could help) i dont think its bad people offer their animals for rehoming but i do think its sad that this happens so often i only give an animal up if there is no way i can bring them round, sadly for me the rats were just to much to handle and with 2 biting me every time i fed them i was covered in cuts and scratches i felt so bad but i know they are now with someone who has the time to help them to become friendly and very happy

Sounds a bit suspicious to me :? Maybe one accidental pregancy but two or three :shock:

Hopefully there won't be any more :(

I think there should be a way of doing it as sometimes you need to get rid for the health and safety of the animals, i had to recently get rid of our rats as they got so aggressive we couldnt clean them out of even feed them without being bitten and it wasnt fair on them or us as they didnt get the attention they needed, as for putting them up on freecycle or freegle as its now called in the uk that is not aloud as that site is for keeping things out of the landfill and putting animals up is not aloud (i was a moderator and any animals put up were taken off and the poster given addresses and numbers of places to talk to that could help) i dont think its bad people offer their animals for rehoming but i do think its sad that this happens so often i only give an animal up if there is no way i can bring them round, sadly for me the rats were just to much to handle and with 2 biting me every time i fed them i was covered in cuts and scratches i felt so bad but i know they are now with someone who has the time to help them to become friendly and very happy

Get Rid :shock::shock::shock: they are not rubbish, surely you mean rehome:roll:

I just wondered what people's opinions are on free sites (don't know if im allowed to name on here) like gumtree and freecycle etc?

Reason im asking is because i saw an ad on said site at the weekend for someone giving away rabbits. As i have mentioned before my neutered male Mr Bunnylove is very grumpy and charges at my biting even if i just put my hand down to stroke my female rabbit lulu or top up food dish.

I decided to leave him the big hutch with attached run so he can be left to his own devices and have access to run without me ever having to handle him as this upsets him.

Lulu my wee baby female is in the shed in a huge run on her own so as i came across someone giving away young rabbits i went to see them and of course came back with one. A black and tan female (not sure of breed). She's quite big compared to lulu and is 7 months (lulu only about 8 weeks). They got on instantly and lulu even snuggles up to the newbie who ive named 'Jessica' :love: I will take pics tonight and let you see.

I was wondering though if by me taking a rabbit off someone on gumtree would be seen a fuelling the trend where people give away animals or free (such as people who buy pups from backyard breeders) or would it been seen as i rescued her as anyone could have come to take her away :roll: i hope the others went to nice homes.

Just found a pic, she's the black one - white one had already been spoken for....

Can you tell me what kind of rabbit she is?
28861491.jpg

Did the two buns in the pic come from the same litter? Jessica definitely has some netherland dwarf in her, can't quite get an idea of size so not sure what else :)

Re. vaccinations - I'm afraid your vet is talking absolute nonsense. Whilst diseases may die down in the colder months they by no means disappear and so it's vital you get both buns 100% checked & vaccinated asap. I would strongly recommend you seeking out another vet! You might like to start another thread on here asking for rabbit savvy vet recommendations in your area :) Keep us posted :)

no i did mean rehome after months of being bitten i was no way in love with the rats i cared for them but did not love them they just are not me, we got them for our son and while i knew i would be helping to care for them i didnt think i was going to be the only one looking after them, my partner is the one who liked rats and thought we should get him some so i went along and ended being bitten so many times and scratch that i came to the point that they were not in my good books, i feel bad about having to let them go as i dont believe in rehoming an animal just because it doesnt behave the way you want them to but in the end it was nicer for the rats to go somewhere else where they could be happy

My vet said probably better to wait until beginning of next year for vaccinations as in the cold weather it wasn't really essential as bugs/fleas and things which spread germs were not around in winter :? i don't know?

If your vet is correct how come my aunts friends bunny has myxi now? I think I would maybe be looking for a new vet

If your vet is correct how come my aunts friends bunny has myxi now? I think I would maybe be looking for a new vet

I wasn't saying my vet was correct, i was simply saying that's what my vet had said to me :?

I trust my vet 100% as they have been fantastic with all my dogs and pulled out all the stops to save my wee Ziggy's life for which i'll always be grateful to them. I will perhaps ask the main practice parnter Susan if i can see an appt with the most 'rabbit savvy vet'.

They would certainly have no objections doing the vaccinations if i asked for it to be done. When i mentioned about getting Mr BL's vacc done a few weeks after neutering that's when she said about wait until the start of next year. No need for some of the hostile replies folks, this is surely a forum where people can come freely and come for advice, some of us don't know as much as you guys and just need educated :)

Last edited:
I wasn't saying my vet was correct, i was simply saying that's what my vet had said to me :?

I trust my vet 100% as they have been fantastic with all my dogs and pulled out all the stops to save my wee Ziggy's life for which i'll always be grateful to them. I will perhaps ask the main practice parnter Susan if i can see an appt with the most 'rabbit savvy vet'.

They would certainly have no objections doing the vaccinations if i asked for it to be done. When i mentioned about getting Mr BL's vacc done a few weeks after neutering that's when she said about wait until the start of next year. No need for some of the hostile replies folks, this is surely a forum where people can come freely and come for advice, some of us don't know as much as you guys and just need educated :)

Absolutely and I hope my post didn't come across as being hostile. Sadly many vets aren't rabbit savvy and give out poor advice :( Not your fault of course and it's great that you've come on here and asked for opinions :) Well done for caring about your buns and please do keep us posted. Some piccies would be lovely too :D

Did the two buns in the pic come from the same litter? Jessica definitely has some netherland dwarf in her, can't quite get an idea of size so not sure what else :)

Hi, yes i think these 2 in the pic are from the same litter. She is actually really quite big (compared to my other two) :) She's absoloutely gorgeous and has HUGE ears. Will try and get some better pics :love:

I have lots of free ad animals, Crunchie and Fiver were from an accidental litter, Oreo was the lone guinea and the owner wanted him to live with other guineas but could commit to another herself, Gypsy the children grew out of and the parents both worked very long hours etc etc. I've never paid money for them. They've cost me a lot of money though obviously getting them neutered/spayed, vaccinated etc and you never know how healthy they are going to be so its something to think seriously about. My rabbits have a good home and didn't have to clog up rescue space.

Reference the comment made about unwanted litters sometimes by the time the first litter is noticed mum is already pregnant again so its not unnusual to have two in a row.

I have lots of free ad animals, Crunchie and Fiver were from an accidental litter, Oreo was the lone guinea and the owner wanted him to live with other guineas but could commit to another herself, Gypsy the children grew out of and the parents both worked very long hours etc etc. I've never paid money for them. They've cost me a lot of money though obviously getting them neutered/spayed, vaccinated etc and you never know how healthy they are going to be so its something to think seriously about. My rabbits have a good home and didn't have to clog up rescue space.

Reference the comment made about unwanted litters sometimes by the time the first litter is noticed mum is already pregnant again so its not unnusual to have two in a row.

I never thought of that :oops: I suppose that was probably the case. Just my suspicious mind ;)

I think those kind of sites are good. It encourages people to rehome their pets instead of dumping and releasing them. I got Ben and Timmy from someone on craigslist after their husband got them as a 'gift' and 2 weeks later they decided they didn't want them/couldn't keep them.

Back