• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

White wild bunnies ?

WeeBarraxO

Warren Veteran
me & OH were out a walk with Amber last & could see something white moving in the distance .. we got closer & noticed it was a groups of about 4 white rabbits :shock:, I never knew you could get white wild bunnies :shock:, or have they maybe been the result of a pet bun being let out :(

I've seen at least two white ones in a caravan park near Creetown in D&G. So they are about. They also have black ones on Mull.

I'm assuming they are either pets that have been let loose or pets that have bred with the wild rabbits to produce the white

I think albinos can occur naturally in any animal - they don't last long because of predators

A couple of years ago I saw a NZ white next to the A64 near York. There were tonnes of white wildies for the next few months after that. Not seen any for a while though:cry:

If you saw a group of white bunnies it is most likely an escaped / abandoned pet rabbit that has bred. They may be the first generation or they could have been breeding in that area for years. If they have been there a while they would be classified as feral.

I can't imagine any white rabbits will last long in the wild, they basically glow in the dark when the moon is out.

If you saw a group of white bunnies it is most likely an escaped / abandoned pet rabbit that has bred. They may be the first generation or they could have been breeding in that area for years. If they have been there a while they would be classified as feral.

I can't imagine any white rabbits will last long in the wild, they basically glow in the dark when the moon is out.

yeah thats what I was thinking :(, & thats how he saw them it was dark & they stood out sooo much :shock:

my guess is that they were recently escaped/released pets...white bunnies would be glow in the dark fox snacks unfortunately. Black bunnies do quite well though.

I would go with dumped/escaped pets or pet descendants too.

I've seen plenty of wildie black ones though. It's called melanistic isn't it? There are black melanistic squirrels in Hertfordshire too.

I would go with dumped/escaped pets or pet descendants too.

I've seen plenty of wildie black ones though. It's called melanistic isn't it? There are black melanistic squirrels in Hertfordshire too.

Yes, there are lots of them in Letchworth where I work sometimes. They are very cute :love:
That's a natural mutation though.

albino

Albinos occur naturally in all species occasionally, including humans, so truly wild white rabbits can occur.

We have found 2 white rabbits near us, not together, but almost certainly dumped domestics, because at first they were clueless as to how to live and wandered about helplessly on the road. We tried a few times to catch the first one we found, but it scuttered into deep undergrowth each time. It manages its life much better these days, but as the weather gets colder we are worried for it. My mum is bringing a rabbit-catcher down next time she comes, in a couple of weeks, so we'll see how it goes. We think they were probably dumped together on the side of the main road, then scattered in fear in different directions. But we will never know the truth.

Back