• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to get them used to me?

stranger23

Mama Doe
Ok ive taken on 2 outdoor bunnies not sure of their age but seem fully grown, my only problem is they wont let me touch them :( they run from one end of their cage to the other when i cleaned them out and one of them his nails are so long i would say at least 3cm!!! ive only had them for a few days and have them booked in on thursday to get their nails cut but how i going to catch them to get them there im not sure. Ive tried putting my hand out and letting them sniff me and this morning Rodger let me stoke him quickly when i put his food in and he is meant to be the grumpy one, lucky wont even let me near him when im putting food in and he is the one who really needs his nails doing, they are housed separately as i was told they dont get on but in the future i would like to get the neutered and bonded with another rabbit as i dont like them being on their own :( the previous owners have always kept them this way.

I have also recently had the same problem and although I am no expert and there are people more qualified than me to answer, I think it’s just going to take time to gain their trust.

Thumper our new unwanted grumpy rabbit now comes when he hears me coming, I am making a point of going lots of times during the day and feeding him little and often even if it’s just a bit dandelion picked from the garden, so every time I do go I have FOOD :D

He will now eat from my hand and let me stroke him for a short time without darting off, he also desperately needs his nails cut which I am aiming to do this week with help.

Ive never cut rabbit nails before so im going to get them done somewhere where they can show me how to do it safely, i really am going to have to just grab him i think but really dont want to stress him out to much, every time i go to him i will take food then see if that helps, i talk softly to them to so they get used to my voice.

neutering should help with their temperaments, and you could try bonding them together or introducing a female and bonding as a trio if that fails.

I'd suggest you lure them in to a carrier or box with their morning meal when you need to get them to the vets, it's the least stressful way for them imo.

rabbits generally become more friendly once they get familiar with you too, it's early days yet.

Ive tried getting lucky in a box using food he seemed to know what i was going to do and just wouldnt go in, will keep trying tho as ive got to get those nails cut before they start causing him problems

It's taken almost two years for Bramble to really trust us. Try treats to tempt them over to you, then you really want to try and get hold of them quickly, firmly and first time if you can!

ah, in that case I agree with clarebear.

I think the key is confidence, just believe you can do it, know what you're aiming for (one hand behind the front legs, the other supporting their bum) and go for it.

The longer it takes and the more failed attempts you have the more stressed you and the bun will both get (don't worry too much though - it's bound to be tricky the first few times while you get a feel for it) so try getting the rabbit in to a smaller area before you go for it and don't be afraid to be firm!

i cant grab these guys one hand behind front legs and one on bum they are to big, i get my dwarfs like that but ive got little hands, lucky is easily the width of both of my hands so would need to grab him both hands behind his legs and support him when ive got a good grip. I will try and put some food in a box and let lucky walk in if he plays ball as he has to have his nails done or they are going to start giving him problems, looking at rodgers his are not to bad so im thinking i might leave his this week and work on him getting used to me so i can pick him up as his cage is ontop of luckys he cant just walk into a box. Want to get luckys weight checked i believe he may be a lop as he is massive but want to make sure he isnt just big coz he has been overfed rodger looks a lot healthier even tho he is meant to be older if they hadnt told me he was older i would have thought it was the other way round

You might be surprised at how small he actually is when you get your hands round him.
I have tiny hands too (i'm 4ft 11 so a very small person) and I use the same method to pick up my frenchie as I do my nethie crosses - only difference is I hold him legs outwards because he's torn up so many of my clothes with his powerful hind legs :lol:

Even if you have to pin them down with 2 hands while you get a secure grip you should still be fine picking them up, just have confidence :)

Back