• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gift for Chemo patient - Male???

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

My boss is starting really aggressive chemo treatment this week and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a gift I could get him?

He's had a flower basket (very manly!) off a client of ours already and we sent a card when we heard he'd been diagnosed with cancer, but thought if I could get a special gift for him starting chemo, he may appreciate it.

Any thoughts??
:wave:

He'll probably feel quite ill so maybe a good book, magazines, puzzles - laying in bed watching telly will get boring pretty quick :) Good luck finding something.

I agree with the book, magazine subscription or maybe an ipod, a Ninetendo DS or something he can do while he is recieving his treatment.

Depends how much you are willing to spend.

My brother had a really dry mouth but felt sick to eat. Ice was a great comfort but an ice machine can set you back a fair bit.

The thing that got to him most (mainly because he felt ok a lot of the time) was boredom. And the fact he was surrounded by so much sadness and trauma. Keeping his sense of humour was a struggle but ultimately helped him through - so if funds are tight - a good joke book to occupy and feed the mind.

Best wishes to your boss. x

Thanks for the replies so far!

Lots of websites mention having warm socks...is this a side effect of chemo, or is it just because hospitals are cold when u go for treatment?

I agree with something that could keep him occupied but still, so a DS or similar (a DS is good because it requires minimal physical effort but can be entertaining so if its too tiring for him to move, he may well be able to do that, or for when he is feeling bleurgh, some DVDs or something to stick on and watch. Sitcoms? I guess it depends what he likes.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Lots of websites mention having warm socks...is this a side effect of chemo, or is it just because hospitals are cold when u go for treatment?

there are different side affects depending on meds but a lot of people going through chemo experience a lack of blood suply to the extremeties - so hands and feet may get a little cold.

I also read a story about someone having to wear wine coolers on their hands and feet though because their nails were coming away and the coldness was to help prevent anymore nail damage.

Hospital temp can be a little lower too so it could be something as simple as that too.

My brother had a fan on constantly and nearly had a breakdown when one broke. But then he never feels the cold - he's like a burning hot furnace all year round! :lol:

I agree with something that could keep him occupied but still, so a DS or similar (a DS is good because it requires minimal physical effort but can be entertaining so if its too tiring for him to move, he may well be able to do that, or for when he is feeling bleurgh, some DVDs or something to stick on and watch. Sitcoms? I guess it depends what he likes.

I remember raiding my DVD collection for him coz he took his lappy in and wanted to watch films. He's a wimp and i made the mistake of sending over Flatliners. I had an angry call going "I'm in hospital and you send me a horror about medical students practicing on each other...?" :oops: Ooops!!

DVD's and books are always a good bet - if you know their type! :lol:

Back