• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eric's not himself....

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
last night he didn't want his tea, nor pellets. he'd been in his tray munching at about 5.30pm but as he'd seemed ok all day i didn't check the contents thoroughly before i emptied it:roll:

he spent the next 4 hours lying down - not tummy pressing but full flop, moving after a few minutes. he seemed to hunch for a minute and i found some reddy/orange wee. quite transparent but def reddy orange.

i couldn't get him out from beneath the futon so i flattened it out - eric gets very excited when furniture is moved - and eventually he did start to explore and seemed very bright.

i stayed downstairs with him til i heard him munching his pellets and got up a few times in the night to check on him - much to his disgust.

this morning he seems pretty bright and had eaten some of his breakfast. he's been in his tray and i've found some slightly smaller than usual poops.

my quandry is, should i observe him for a couple of hours or whisk him off to the vets:? he is a complete stress head with the vets and just catching him to put him in his carrier can stop him eating, hence doing more harm than good.

our last dental was 3 weeks ago and we have a check up next week (last 2 dentals have been around 10-12 weeks apart :D).

so, observe input and output for a couple of hours or rush off to the vets?

x

eta: as i posted this, we had the nethie 500 :oops: hmmmm. could he have pigged out a bit on something yesterday and been uncomfortable which eased when he became curious about me moving the furniture......

Last edited:
Sounds like gas and a slow down in the guts to me, the small amount of concentrated wee would likely be dehydration that fits also.

As his tum is now moving and he is eating voluntarily I would just monitor him for now and encourage him to have lots of fibre and fluids, hay, wet greens, dandelions, grass etc and get that tummy back up to speed where the droppings are larger and his urine output increases again. Any further loss of appetite or set back again then I would go to the vet. :):wave:

thank you:love::wave:

i've put his fresh wet veg but eric never eats it til its dry and up to room temperature:oops: (he's a little 'different').

he's had a quick nap after his mad laps and is exploring again now so i think i will do as you say, watch and wait......

suppose it will take a little while for him to get back to good sized poop after a small gap?

mustn't feel too bad at the mo if he's running about like a loon had he?

x

No he sounds much more comfortable and the movement will give him an appetite and help move his tummy along. Have you tried washing his greens in warm water? :wave:

Oh not lovely Eric.:(
The rapid recovery sounds very much like painful gas trapped.
I'm hoping that he's made a full recovery now.
I wouldn't worry too much about the colour of the wee poppymoon, as long as there's a reasonable amount.
(Some buns particularly prone to stress can produce reddish, almost blood like wee when stressed eg. pain. It's caused by a natural pigment porphorin.)

Please let us know how he gets on.

well i've made myself some toast as he usually eats with me (his own food, not toast!) but he seems too busy exploring to eat at the moment.

yes, i've tried washing his greens in warm water - not suitable to lord eric's palate i'm afraid:roll:

thanks for the reassurance about the wee:)

maybe i'll actually get dressed in a minute and take a break from watching him....

thank you:wave:

just thought, maybe he pigged so much on green oat hay yesterday, thats what cause the discomfort.....

hope it doesn't sound weird that my way of seeing if eric picks up is to move the furniture?:oops:

thank you:wave:

just thought, maybe he pigged so much on green oat hay yesterday, thats what cause the discomfort.....

hope it doesn't sound weird that my way of seeing if eric picks up is to move the furniture?:oops:

It doesn't sound wierd at all poppymoon. It sounds very inventive & effective.

I think you may be onto something with the green oat hay. Didn't Eric get tummy problems with ordinary green hay once, & need it gold & very stalky? I think the oat hay would be even richer.

How is he this evening?

thanks judy:)

he seems more like himself tonight. only visited his tray once but we have a big wee and several (slightly small) poops:D

he's used to oat hay - even the bag i used yesterday is the same as he's been having for the last couple of weeks (its not that green oddly enough!). you're right though, i can't give him lovely fresh farm hay as it upsets his tum:roll:. good job he loves the golden stalky stuff.

x

Atta boy Eric. Now eat & poop for RU & get your tummy working properly please.

You know, one of my favourite photos of all time is Eric sitting in a plant pot, hoping he'll grow! :lol::lol::lol:

Atta boy Eric. Now eat & poop for RU & get your tummy working properly please.

You know, one of my favourite photos of all time is Eric sitting in a plant pot, hoping he'll grow! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: i love that one too - felt guilty about taking it tho as the concentration on his little face meant he was having a wee:oops: his wish to grow never happened though, he's still tiny:love:

he seems fine today - touch wood. glad i followed my gut instinct again.

thanks to everyone for your support x

Back