• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

constant moulting - any suggestions?

becky d

New Kit
Hi there,

I have an 18 month old french lop house rabbit who constantly moults - and has done for the last year probably. I'm not talking the usual loose hairs, I mean he appears to be in a permanent heavy moult. He'll start at his nose and as soon as it reaches his hindquarters he starts at the front again! The coat itself is in good condition, and his diet is hay, some veg and grass, and one bowl of rabbit feed per day.

Is there anything I can do? It can't be all that pleasant for him, and i have to say it drives me a bit mad too!:roll:

Thank you!

Is he being kept indoors all the time or outdoors all the time? Or is there movement between the two? My lops used to do this until I sorted their diet out so that's something to look at too maybe?

hmm, he's indoors all the time - i mean in the summer he goes for walks in the garden but it's a bit chilly for that now :(

I feed a bowl of supreme science selective ('aniseed and fenugreek') in the evenings, ad lib hay, and then a small amount of veg each day.

I do pluck out the loose clumps of hair about once or twice a week (and just groom him by stroking him with my hands the rest of the time), but even though I take out the hairs that are already loose he hates it, bless him!

i was just looking at that 'furminator' brush but don't want to risk scratching his skin

if you have any recommendations I'd certainly be up for hearing them....

There are certain foods that help bunnies when they're moulting. I can't remember them all but I think it's clover. And pineapple helps the fur move through the gut if they're eating too much of it while grooming.

hmm, he's indoors all the time - i mean in the summer he goes for walks in the garden but it's a bit chilly for that now :(

I feed a bowl of supreme science selective ('aniseed and fenugreek') in the evenings, ad lib hay, and then a small amount of veg each day.

I do pluck out the loose clumps of hair about once or twice a week (and just groom him by stroking him with my hands the rest of the time), but even though I take out the hairs that are already loose he hates it, bless him!

i was just looking at that 'furminator' brush but don't want to risk scratching his skin

if you have any recommendations I'd certainly be up for hearing them....

Some people on here love their furminators, some say it ruined their bunnies' coats. I find a basic comb best, it gets the loose fur out from the base whereas brushes just seem to glide over the top.

I'm afraid I can't surmise any other reasons for it. May be worth mentioning it to a vet next time you go for a checkup.

Back