• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a Bunny

telle

New Kit
Hi All
This is my first post so sorry if its in the wrong place?!
I spotted this rabbit a week & half ago running loose (I live just outside Redditch Town Centre)
I though I was seeing things but sure enough the following night I saw him again. I tried to catch him but couldn't.
I didn't see him again until he ran out in front of my car yesterday morning.
This time me & my mom managed to catch him.
Ive called all the vets, pets shops, searched lost pets on the net & called a couple of rescues.
Ive even walked the streets asking anyone I met & peeped into gardens looking for hutches.
Ive called the RSPCA & they cant help, no room (Ive also called 2 local rescues who are also not taking any more bunnies in)
I took him to the vets in Pets@home & they told me its a boy, hes not chipped but hes in ok condition. We did find a puncture hole in his back end where we think something has had a go at him while hes been running loose. Thats been cleaned up & Im watching him.
Well, as no-one can help he is currently living in a chinchilla cage (I have chins & a dog) hes in the chins room, the cage is lined with paper, hay, hes got food & hes calming down.
Im stuck now.....I cant really keep him long term & Im not set up for a rabbit (live in a flat)
Hes safe now which was my main concern but I dont know what to do next.
Any advice??

Well done for catching and taking him on. You could pm SOAD and get her to put him on here to rehome. Have you got any piccies you could put up too.

Well done for catching him and keeping him safe. If you PM SOAD, then you should be able to put him in the rabbits in need section to find him a new home, or put him on Rabbit Rehome the sister site to this one.
If you need any hints on home checking etc, just ask.
Do you have any pics of bunny? We love pictures on here!

Keeping a rabbit is a lot like keeping a chinchilla. They eat mainly hay and just a small amount of pellets but they also need a small amount of fresh veg a day. I agree a chin cage isn't the most ideal setup, but it's better than living on the streets.

You seem to have done all the right things with him so far and well done for rescuing him... but rabbits do make great house pets and can be litter trained. Are you sure you don't want to keep him? ;) :p

To be honest I would go about re-homing him yourself. Ask people you know etc. We can all give you some advice about what a potential new owner would need in terms of accommodation etc. There are a lot of rescues who post on this forum so someone might even be able to give you some sort of re-homing sheet.

Also it is imperative you post pictures so we can all see how cute he is... and maybe someone from the forum might even want to adopt him. :)

How do I put piccies on?
Hes a lovely boy & seems very loving considering hes been through so much

Rabbits can be kept a bit like cats, roaming loose in a house, provided you hide wiring and protect walls, it does take some bunny proofing, even in one room. At least for the interim! What did the vets say about the puncture? Does it look infected? I would be concerned about that, rabbit skin is so fragile! And shock can do them some serious damage too. Is he eating?

If no one in the vicinity claimed him, he could well have been dumped.

Im just uploading piccies onto photobucket, piccies to follow!
My chins have their own room as my other half is allergic (considered chucking him out but decided to convert spare room :D)
Ive also got a Jack Russell who actually sniffed him out the second time I saw him but scared him off barking (dont worry, Dave, the dog, was tied to a fence away from us)
The rabbit has had a stroll round my chins room today while I cleaned up his many poops!

Nice one for rescuing him! He is much better off as has been said, with you than on the streets where he could be hit by cars, attacked by dogs etc. I hope he finds a new home very soon! :wave:

Hes eating well, I didn't know any better so I bought him a bag of mixed Rabbit food, the vet has said that this is bad as it promotes selective feeding so I have to go out tomorrow lunch time & get nuggets?
I also found that I wasn't giving him enough food (he emptied the bowl of food I put in & vet showed me a bowl twice the size of mine!)
He loves carrots & broccoli.
Ive also got to get Kale & other bits of grub for him tomorrow

this should be piccies of Buggs....
DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I said hes in a chinchilla cage at the moment so even though hes now safe its not the best home for him. I havent got the money to buy a cage but I have been looking on ebay & in the papers/online etc.
Ive asked all of my friends if they know anyone who would be willing to take him on but so far nothing has come through.
Hes more than welcome to stay for now but I think he really needs to be with someone who can give hi the love & attention he deserves.
He is a big lad bless him & seems to be very affectionate even though hes been through a lot.
In an ideal world Id love for him to stay but as my fella is allergic its not ideal for either of them!
I feel so sad for the poor lad :cry:

I'm surprised the vet said to give him more food. All I've ever been told is that 90% of their diet should be hay with a small bowl of food a day...

I am so glad he is safe with you, thank you for taking him in and looking after him, he would not have survived long out there on his own :cry:

He looks so lovely and from the photos he looks in good condition generally.

I love his big ears....might he be a Conti? Does anyone know?

Lovely boy :love: bet he is glad to be safe and sound now!

Back