• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

older rabbit: neutering?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
i really don't know if this is in the right place, so sorry if it isn't moderators..:oops:

but anyway. so benji is five and he is going to be neutered soon. as he is a middle aged bun i'm a little bit worried about him being under general anaesthetic... can anyone tell me what to expect? it will be the first time i've had a bunny neutered, so i'm terrified:shock:

My mum had a male bun neutered at 6 and he was fine. This time of year you will need to keep him warm for a day or two afterwards as he wont be able to regulate his body temp. I would suggest soft bedding like a blanket or towel too as he will be a bit sore.

Rabbits can eat as normal before a GA so dont not feed him. He should be given pain relief by the vet afterwards and may need a gut stimulant if he doesnt start eating by himself

My mum had a male bun neutered at 6 and he was fine. This time of year you will need to keep him warm for a day or two afterwards as he wont be able to regulate his body temp. I would suggest soft bedding like a blanket or towel too as he will be a bit sore.

Rabbits can eat as normal before a GA so dont not feed him. He should be given pain relief by the vet afterwards and may need a gut stimulant if he doesnt start eating by himself

thankyou.. i've asked my vet lots of questions but of course i wanted advice from experienced bunny owners. for the next few nights i would keep him in my en suite bathroom as it's warm in there, and there's already rugs on the floor but i would add towels. (obviously all my toiletries/cleaning stuff will be safely shut away in my shower cubicle). what i was going to do was also leave him a little packed lunch so to speak, for them to give him when he comes round... would that be okay?

Yes that should be ok. Fingers crossed he should be fine but they may send him home with some liquid food if they think he needs it. His poos might be a bit runny or odd to start with. this should clear up but keep an eye to make sure that he is weeing and pooing

My doe got neutered on Wednesday last week and she is 5 years was not her normal self for a couple of days but is back to her old self now:)

Yes that should be ok. Fingers crossed he should be fine but they may send him home with some liquid food if they think he needs it. His poos might be a bit runny or odd to start with. this should clear up but keep an eye to make sure that he is weeing and pooing

thankyou for the advice:D

We've had several middle aged boy buns neutered & they were all fine :) In fact you wouldn't have guessed some of them had, had ops!

The op for boys is a lot less invasive than for girls, so they tend to recover quite quickly :)

I find that putting a heatpad in with them helps their recovery too & as Webbkath says pain relief is a must :) Also have a good variety of food in for them to eat, as well as trying to make sure you've got some freshly picked grass & dandelions (if you can find any at this time of year) - as they always help ours with tempting their taste buds.

Good luck for Benji & let us know how he goes on :)

We've had several middle aged boy buns neutered & they were all fine :) In fact you wouldn't have guessed some of them had, had ops!

The op for boys is a lot less invasive than for girls, so they tend to recover quite quickly :)

I find that putting a heatpad in with them helps their recovery too & as Webbkath says pain relief is a must :) Also have a good variety of food in for them to eat, as well as trying to make sure you've got some freshly picked grass & dandelions (if you can find any at this time of year) - as they always help ours with tempting their taste buds.

Good luck for Benji & let us know how he goes on :)

thankyou:D i'll be booking him in for the chop soon, so expect plenty of panicky threads from me hehe:oops:

I'm getting my four year old fella Spencer done after the move, so he and Dawn can live happily ever after in time for Christmas. He's had history of a weak heart so I'm very concerned. He'll be kept in a dog crate in my bedroom until I feel he's ready to move in with his wife. :)

Let us know how it goes.

Fred was neutered this January, he's at least six (almost seven :shock:) years old now. When we got home, he started eating right away and he was just fine again the next day. Didn't notice any changes at all. (Okay, one, or should I say two? thing did change.. :lol:)

Fred was neutered this January, he's at least six (almost seven :shock:) years old now. When we got home, he started eating right away and he was just fine again the next day. Didn't notice any changes at all. (Okay, one, or should I say two? thing did change.. :lol:)

hahaha:):lol:

One of my rabbits is around 5, he's not neutered yet but I'd have no doubts doing it because of his age. He's barely changed in 4 years

Back