• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is burns green oat hay fattening??

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Daisy is rather podgy with a dewlap and seems to be getting bigger!! I'm trying to work out what needs cutting down and suddenly thought maybe it's the oat hay?! unlike Dudley she eats and eats and is always in the hay basket! They have a large dog basket filled with farm hay and dust free stalky plus a large bowl of burns green oat hay which is filled in the morning and evening! She loves all 3 hays and eats way more than Dudley! They also have two bowls of veg a day a typical bowl consists of 2 medium greens leaves torn up, handful of kale, 6 leaves of spinach, 1 sprout cut in 4, an inch of carrot chopped and a few sprigs of parsley and about 6 pellets! She also eats much faster than Dudley! They are both mini lops! I know carrot is supposed to be fattening but surely an inch of carrot a day can't be causing her increasing size?

Are bunny metabolisms so different to ours that a lot of green veg is fattening??

Have you weighed her? My lionheads look to be putting on weight but I think it's their thicker winter coat. Smudge certainly hasn't gone up at all. He was weighed Friday at the vets and was the same. Need to get the scales out to check on Nutmeg's. They very rarely have oat hay though.

Regarding bunny metabolisms, they can convert fibre into fat (I think). Spenser quite likes green oat hay, as does Mr McFlurry, but neither of them are brilliant hay eaters.

I dont really have any appropriate scales to weigh her at home but she is due her myxo jab at the end of the month so I'll ask the vet to weigh her, but I can visibly see she's bigger than she should be! Bless her she lives for her food!!

I dont really have any appropriate scales to weigh her at home but she is due her myxo jab at the end of the month so I'll ask the vet to weigh her, but I can visibly see she's bigger than she should be! Bless her she lives for her food!!

I think we would all feel a bit sad if Daisy had to diet, but obviously if it's a health issue something will have to be done. :( I really wouldn't think an inch of carrot is excessive thogh. Perhaps best not to tell Daisy how much carrot MrMcFlurry is given by his misguided owners. I once read an article about body scoring your rabbit in Rabbiting On and it says their ribs should feel like a packet of pens. Spenser's do. The aricle was useful to me because as Spenser is a crossbreed his actual weight wouldn't mean much to me.

Yes Im afraid she really does need to go on a diet!! Definately can't feel any ribs!! If I showed some 'fat' looking piccies Id be afraid of coming under attack for bunny abuse!! But this is my first time with bunnys so it's s huge learning curve and while I can learn the basic bunny medicine facts its a whole different ball game when it comes to instinct, intuition and experience!!

Oh dear, I see troubled times ahead... particularly if Daisy has to diet and Dudley doesn't. :( I think the converting fibre to fat thing (can't remember where I read about this) means that bunnies can get overweight on what seems a very healthy diet. Tell Dudley he is not to tease her, or Mr McFlurry will have something to say about it.

Back