• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You can't get the staff

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper - "It isn't good enough, my hoomin hasn't topped up my food - what is the world comming to?"

DSCF4893.jpg

Guess I'll have to look around for some scraps.

DSCF4886.jpg

Oooo that's tasty. Let's get more.

DSCF4883.jpg

DSCF4888.jpg

( It was quite difficult to take these photos cos although I never told him off for self service he always stopped doing it looking guilty when he realised I was watching him.) Yes our bedroom is full of huge boxes of winter supplies of dried leaves.

Aaw, clever bunny :love::love:
Is that orchard grass he's eating? It looks lovely. I've never tried it with mine but might get some and see if they like it...

Aaw, clever bunny :love::love:
Is that orchard grass he's eating? It looks lovely. I've never tried it with mine but might get some and see if they like it...

:wave: Hi Loosy. He's actually eating ribwort plantain foraged from the neighbouring countryside & home dried. - FREE - but takes a bit of pleasant effort. It's a common weed all over the UK, & I only ever pick 50% of the leaves, so I don't destroy the plant.
His gut is in a bit of a mess & he can't absorb his food properly. So it's probably too high in nutrients as a staple for a normal bun except as a treat or part of their veg ration. There's a lovely fun thread (which takes some reading now) when several of us got together on the subject. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239131

:wave: Hi Loosy. He's actually eating ribwort plantain foraged from the neighbouring countryside & home dried. - FREE - but takes a bit of pleasant effort. It's a common weed all over the UK, & I only ever pick 50% of the leaves, so I don't destroy the plant.
His gut is in a bit of a mess & he can't absorb his food properly. So it's probably too high in nutrients as a staple for a normal bun except as a treat or part of their veg ration. There's a lovely fun thread (which takes some reading now) when several of us got together on the subject. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239131

Aah, I see! I've never tried drying weeds for the rabbits. I wouldn't be able to identify them! :oops: (I'm a zoologist, plants are a bit alien to me :lol:)
Pipkin isn't a very good hay eater so I'm always on the look out for hay substitutes for him to try. He enjoys readigrass and the flowery bits in alfalfa hay, but that's about it! :roll:

I'll have a read through that thread, looks interesting. Thanks! :)

:love::love::love::love::love:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thumper!

I think I might have a go at this natural diet thing for Daphne. She's always had a bit of a squiffy gut (along with her numerous other issues :roll:) but I never noticed quite how bad it was until I put her in her new playhouse and noticed how quickly it gets filthy. :oops::shock: I've tried reducing pellets right down and feeding lots of hay but she has no front teeth so seems to struggle with that and she got a bit thin. :(

Thanks Shellypops. I'm besotted with him. He's great company in the evenings & a big softee now, but still definately "macho".

Just like my gorgeous man Carlo, he beats up my arm from time to time in between grooms, just to remind me that he is butch:lol:

:love::love::love::love::love:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thumper!

I think I might have a go at this natural diet thing for Daphne. She's always had a bit of a squiffy gut (along with her numerous other issues :roll:) but I never noticed quite how bad it was until I put her in her new playhouse and noticed how quickly it gets filthy. :oops::shock: I've tried reducing pellets right down and feeding lots of hay but she has no front teeth so seems to struggle with that and she got a bit thin. :(

I'd imagine that Daphne's main issue is getting bite sized pieces. I guess you've tried cutting her hay into 1/4" pieces with scissors. PL gave a fantastic tip of mushing up pellets to a liquid with water & pouring it over the hay.
You should still be able to get some blackberry leaves (but not much longer) I dry them cool then use a hair drier for the final crisp. She'd still need them broken up though. If we can get the gut moving better with a bit of fiber for day hopefully Daphne's appetite will pick up.

Just like my gorgeous man Carlo, he beats up my arm from time to time in between grooms, just to remind me that he is butch:lol:

Hey Carlo you don't beat up the ladies.
We've got a hilarious arrangement. When Thumper gets into a strop he goes into his carrier & digs/bites the living daylights out of his bedding in there. :lol:

He'll struggle if he's fed up of a syringe in his mouth but carrier gets the real aggro. :love:

I'd imagine that Daphne's main issue is getting bite sized pieces. I guess you've tried cutting her hay into 1/4" pieces with scissors. PL gave a fantastic tip of mushing up pellets to a liquid with water & pouring it over the hay.
You should still be able to get some blackberry leaves (but not much longer) I dry them cool then use a hair drier for the final crisp. She'd still need them broken up though. If we can get the gut moving better with a bit of fiber for day hopefully Daphne's appetite will pick up.

Yes, I've tried chopping the hay up - and I've done so with just about every type of hay going but she's still not really interested. I have to be careful not to give her any kind of hay with seeds and seed heads in too as she's long furred and cannot groom herself properly... :roll: She's a nightmare! :lol:

I got some dried weeds with my last Hay Experts order (dandelion and plantain I think) which she seems to like but her husbun is a healthy little guy and his teeth work fine so he'll come along and guzzle the whole lot down before Daphne's got to her second leaf. :(

I'm a bit stuck with what to do for the best really. :oops:

Oh yay! I love seeing pictures of Thumper, he is such a sweetie :love::love:

I was thinking of you when I got the photos on the computer! as well as the others who've followed our story.
Gus looks incredibly like Thumper doesn't he? Does he have ears for all occasions too?

:love::love::love:

Sorry Judy only just seen these, the link in your email didn't work for some reason :?

Thumper is SO handsome and has quite a macho look about him doesn't he! :D

He is looking very bright and happy sat in his box of plantains! :lol::love:

I was thinking of you when I got the photos on the computer! as well as the others who've followed our story.
Gus looks incredibly like Thumper doesn't he? Does he have ears for all occasions too?

Yes he does :lol: my fav is the one ear slightly raised when he is sleepy but thinks I may be getting him food :love:

Back