• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which bedding is best?

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
I'm thinking of getting something other than wood shavings for Oscar's cage once this bag is empty due to the health problems and the mess in the front room, but I'm not sure what will be best... What do you all use and why?

If it makes any difference, he is in his cage at night and when we are out, but the rest of the time he has the free run of the room.

Mine have newspaper in a litter tray with megazorb then hay on and newspaper with hay everywhere else

My bunny doesnt have 'bedding' as such in his cage. He has a litter tray which has newspaper, carefresh and hay in it, and a small pile of hay in another corner for munching on, and then he just has a blanket that I wash every week or if it gets dirty. He scrunches it up and digs in it though, making it all tangled up, so I'm thinking out just lining his cage with carpet. He's inside like your bun so its not like he needs warmth, just comfort :)

Hmmm, that's a really good idea nessar, although since we're still going through litter training at the moment I will probably wait before I put towels/carpet down!
What is the difference between carefresh and megazorb then? Sorry if that's a rather silly question...

Hmmm, that's a really good idea nessar, although since we're still going through litter training at the moment I will probably wait before I put towels/carpet down!
What is the difference between carefresh and megazorb then? Sorry if that's a rather silly question...

Megazorb;

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Litter.11/Megazorb.174.html?osCsid=fj9692i7ri9g9a7l52kdtsdk90

Carefresh;

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Lit...tr.370.html?osCsid=fj9692i7ri9g9a7l52kdtsdk90

Megazorb is more econimical as it lasts longer and it's cheaper but I found it quite dusty so I always use carefresh :wave:

I use Megazorb in Louie's tray and also in the hammies cage, I prefer it to Carefresh as the pieces are smaller and I find it to be more absorbant and also better value for money.

bisc and matt have fleece blankets in their cage, and newspaper, megazorb and hay in their litter trays. :)

Same here! We used to have wood pellet litter instead of the Megazorb, which was also fine but more expensive.

We also used to have carpet in there, but have had to cover it with fleece (giant one from Ikea) as it was giving Truffle sore hocks.

I do but I posted on another thread and was advised it could be dangerous if the buns ate it so I am now worrying a bit. I have lots of bags of shredded paper I have been given and have always used it for my outdoor buns. I also give them a blanket to dig and snuggle in and just wash as and when necessary. They seem to like their blankie.

I used to keep my buns on it when I was a kid. No ill effects, although leaflets/magazines (basically the shiny type of paper) is meant to be poisonous so we avoided that and just got shredded office paper.

also I haven't used megazorb, but will be changing soon as the main difference is price!
carefresh is about £20 for 60 litres, megazorb depends where you get it but £7-10 for a bit more than 60 litres.

They have straw too but was just trying to find something cheap/free to pack the bedrooms with as money is a bit tight at the moment but obviously I won't use it if it is not safe. I am especially concened as they are both single buns with no one to snuggle up with (very long story of failed bonding)! Would shredded newspaper be better?

They have straw too but was just trying to find something cheap/free to pack the bedrooms with as money is a bit tight at the moment but obviously I won't use it if it is not safe. I am especially concened as they are both single buns with no one to snuggle up with (very long story of failed bonding)! Would shredded newspaper be better?

Dont see why not. Everyone seems to use it for litterboxes etc so it cant be harmful. My bunny eats loads of it :roll: You can ask family/work/friends to save their old ones for you. Also, dont know about yours, but my recycling center makes animal bedding out of recycled paper, you could try that? Bet its super cheap. Also any documents you dont need and would normally throw away you could shred? I think straw would be cosier though if outside so I'd still include that or hay. I'm guessing you already buy in bulk to keep costs down as im guessing from your name you have a pony :D

Back