• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking?!

Indy

Warren Scout
Ive noticed that my new girly licks the bars on her hutch... Could this be a deficiency thing or just boredom? She's being weaned off Chinchilla pellets at the moment so i thought she might be lacking in something?

Does she have any salt licks in her hutch? She could just be licking it for fun or as you stated, boredom. You may have to wait for a more experienced person than me to come along :lol:

ETA - I have noticed you said she is new, she might just be getting used to the new surroundings. Sorry I'm not much help :oops:

Last edited:
Haha thanks :)

Ive given her a toy and a tube stuffed with herbage and readigrass to play with so will see if those keep her occupied!

Her hutch is at eye level so when shes licking away at the bars you can just see her little tongue poking out :love:

Haha thanks :)

Ive given her a toy and a tube stuffed with herbage and readigrass to play with so will see if those keep her occupied!

Her hutch is at eye level so when shes licking away at the bars you can just see her little tongue poking out :love:

Aww :love::love:
I need a pic ;)
Riley always has his tounge sticking out but I only have one pic of this :lol: x

Cant get close enough for a pic yet... too close and she shoots back into her bed like a little rocket! :lol:

Working tomorrow so will pick her up a mineral block :)

Personally I would leave the mineral block, they can do more harm than good. Rabbits don't need extra minerals, they need very few nutrients but if they have too much calcium if affects their urinary system. It sound to me like boredom although whenever mine have wanted to get out they normally chew and rattle the bars rather than licking them.

Last edited:
Maia sometimes chews the bars. I wonder why? She knows she is allowed out at any time (the door is always open) and she and Mango have plenty of chewing twigs and other toys.

Jack licks the bars when I walk in the room. :roll: If I stroke his nose and cheeks through the bars, when I move my hand back he goes all giddy and licks the bars more... To him, I think bar licking if I'm around is some sort of displaced affection thing. He's such a dork.

Put a video up of her doing it in the photos section.... bizzare creature! I gave her a gnawstone today and the little monster hasnt touched it :lol: :roll:

Back