• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temporary indoor hutch questions

nikitanain

Warren Scout
As mentioned before I was planning to get 2 dog crates (4x3x2 feet) but due to some problems with stocking, my crates have not yet arrived.. Since the buns were rescued and got home within a span of 1 hour I could only manage to give them a 30x15x15 cage...

I had an old indoor metal hutch (3x2x2 feet) that I would use for my previous rabbits but I stopped using this hutch after my previous rabbits died (main cause unknown, secondary cause mites).. This hutch has been in storage for 6 months and I finally removed it a week ago, left it in the sun to dry for 6 days, hosed it with bleach water twice (20% bleach - 80% water) and hosed it down with plain water several times..

I plan to use this indoor hutch till I get the dog crates, which may take 2 weeks to arrive.. Since this is the first time I have used bleach I am really nervous reusing this hutch.. I have also wiped down the hutch with a wet cloth before using it but I would like to know just incase there is some left over bleach then what will happen to the rabbits?

The rabbits will still be getting a lot of free time, and they will not be closed in the hutch for more than a few hours..

http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures/welcome-home-hutch.jpg

I have placed 4 thick layers of newspaper on the wire base so that the rabbits dont hurt their paws...

Thanks!

32 views and no replies? :shock:

Quick update - the worst part of my scare of over.. The buns have spent a night in the hutch and they are fine, eating fine and active..

I guess no-one can say anything categorically. I don't know. I wouldn't like to say either way and something happen.

Thanks for replying..

So far everything is fine, the rabbits are doing fine.. I took some pics of their setup, I shall upload the pics soon..

Using bleach will not do any harm, bleach is used when cleaning mid cycle . Chlorine gas can be a problem and can affect breathign in not just buns but us humans, however you have allowed time for the gas to disappear.

A wire based cages is not ideal due to rabbits catching their claws and feet in it, I note that you are trying to prevent problems by ensuring it is covered with paper to help to prevent problems associated with this, if you have a piece of wood to do this with it will provide a more resilient covering than newspaper.

Not knowing anything about your set up makes it hard to comment, can you put the current cage on the floor and pen an area off around it to give them more space?

Thanks for replying, I have uploaded pics in another thread..

I remove the bunnies from the enclosure at 8 am everyday and let them roam around till 8 pm everyday.. No visitors come home so the bunnies are usually left to roam.. The house has been bunny proofed since I had bunnies before.. I cant get a pen for them but I can let them roam around..

I change the 4 thick sheets of paper every night so the paper doesnt get soggy and hurt their feet. I shall get an acrylic sheet to place on the wire tomorrow morning, wood may not be the right choice for this hutch..

Back