• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies in the cold

ELSpeake

New Kit
Hello

A few days ago we aquired 2 bunnies that are just over 8 weeks old. We live in rented accomodation and aren't allowed to keep the pets indoors. We asked the breeder if they would be ok to stay in a hutch outdoors at this time of the year, she said yes as they'd been bred outside. When we got home with them we started to think maybe she was wrong. It's freezing cold at night and they're only little. We're worried about them. We've covered and waterproofed the hutch and in their sleeping compartment we've filled in half way with straw, they've also got a tight little covered bed made from grass and I've put a heat pad in there (one of those meant for infant or sick animals). You think they'll be ok? Has anyone any advice about how to keep them warm even in the coldest weather?

Also we have been having them in the house with us to cuddle and spend time with for a few hours everyday, I've started to worry that maybe because they're going from the warm house to the cold at night this will harm them in some way? Advice please?? xx

Hello

A few days ago we aquired 2 bunnies that are just over 8 weeks old. We live in rented accomodation and aren't allowed to keep the pets indoors. We asked the breeder if they would be ok to stay in a hutch outdoors at this time of the year, she said yes as they'd been bred outside. When we got home with them we started to think maybe she was wrong. It's freezing cold at night and they're only little. We're worried about them. We've covered and waterproofed the hutch and in their sleeping compartment we've filled in half way with straw, they've also got a tight little covered bed made from grass and I've put a heat pad in there (one of those meant for infant or sick animals). You think they'll be ok? Has anyone any advice about how to keep them warm even in the coldest weather?

Also we have been having them in the house with us to cuddle and spend time with for a few hours everyday, I've started to worry that maybe because they're going from the warm house to the cold at night this will harm them in some way? Advice please?? xx

Once the weather has started to get colder (September onwards) I never think it advisable to bring buns into warm house and then put them outside again a few hours later, but perhaps that's just me being a fusspot.

Yeh we bought one of these for the night time...I was really surpised how long the heat lasts. I put in their hutch at about 11.30pm last night and it was still warm at 10am this morning. Very impressive. I just worry that thats not enough. I want them to be house bunnies really but our landlord won't let us keep them in the house...I'm starting to think that 'what he doesn't know won't hurt him though'. They seem most happiest when theyre inside with us...or maybe 'I'm' most happiest when theyre inside with us! I wondered if maybe I should get two of those snugglesafe heatpads for when its really, really cold...what do you think?

keeping the cold out...

My bunnies live out all year... I never have my rabbits in the house when central heating is on because i think the drastic change in temperature isnt good.. I have bunnies from 5weeks up.. My hutch has insulation around the sides and roof tied on and covered with hardboard.. Then i have a felted roof and a waterproof sheet thats pulled down to the floor at night and tied down.. Inside you can put cardboard box with a whole just big enough fo your rabbits and fill with plenty of bedding... I have rubber (horse flooring) matting on the floor but a layer of newspaper and straw is good....Oh yeah, my hutch has a solid door no wire front as mine have large run attached...... The heat pads are good for those really cold nights and frosty mornings... Rabbits cope better with cold than they do with heat!....Dry and no drafts....Plenty of hay to eat over night in there bed to.. This is a bit of a ramble but hope it helps....

My bunnies live out all year... I never have my rabbits in the house when central heating is on because i think the drastic change in temperature isnt good.. I have bunnies from 5weeks up.. My hutch has insulation around the sides and roof tied on and covered with hardboard.. Then i have a felted roof and a waterproof sheet thats pulled down to the floor at night and tied down.. Inside you can put cardboard box with a whole just big enough fo your rabbits and fill with plenty of bedding... I have rubber (horse flooring) matting on the floor but a layer of newspaper and straw is good....Oh yeah, my hutch has a solid door no wire front as mine have large run attached...... The heat pads are good for those really cold nights and frosty mornings... Rabbits cope better with cold than they do with heat!....Dry and no drafts....Plenty of hay to eat over night in there bed to.. This is a bit of a ramble but hope it helps....

Hey

Yeh that's helpful, thanks. When we've had them inside we've had the central heating off anyway....so the change is temp too much. Your bunnies sound very cosy. I worry about them outside overnight, they look so small and fragile! I think i'm probably just freeting, I want them to be ok.

Thank you :?

Back