• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cutting Nails

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
Can anyone tell me how to cut a bunnies nails. All of a sudden Milo's nails have grown really long! Its not going to be an easy job but has to be done.

Or anyone that lives Worcester Park that would like to demonstrate?

Last edited:
havent built up the courage to do it myself yet but a vet can do it for you.

my housemate told me they used to wrap the bunny in a towel so she couldnt kick, then clip the nails being careful not to cut into the quick (pink bit) or it will bleed.

you can get nail clippers from pet shops.

Good nail clippers like these:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-scissor-nail-clippers-for-cats-and-dogs-by-mikki-15576

Hold bunny still, either sat on your lap and pick up one paw at a time, or curve bunny backwards into the crook of your arm/elbow so feet are pointing into the air.
If the nails are white/pale you will see the live part of the nail (pink blood supply called the 'quick') and so you cut a good few mm above this, best to take off little by little to begin with if you're not used to doing it, rather than too much in one go. If you nick the quick the nail will bleed and bunny will flinch. You can stop the blood by holding on a cotton pad and applying pressure or using a styptic pencil or cornflour.
Dark/black nails - shining a torch through can help to identify the quick.

If you have someone who can help you might find this easier to begin with, otherwise a vet or VN will do it for you for a small charge.
Don't forget - 4 nails on back feet, 5 on front! ;)

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-scissor-nail-clippers-for-cats-and-dogs-by-mikki-15576

Hold bunny still, either sat on your lap and pick up one paw at a time, or curve bunny backwards into the crook of your arm/elbow so feet are pointing into the air.
If the nails are white/pale you will see the live part of the nail (pink blood supply called the 'quick') and so you cut a good few mm above this, best to take off little by little to begin with if you're not used to doing it, rather than too much in one go. If you nick the quick the nail will bleed and bunny will flinch. You can stop the blood by holding on a cotton pad and applying pressure or using a styptic pencil or cornflour.

If you have someone who can help you might find this easier to begin with, otherwise a vet or VN will do it for you for a small charge.

Thanks :) Think I will take him to the vets to get it done. He isn't thrilled about being held and I am scared that I could hurt him if I try it myself.

I have tried to cut my buns nails this way but found that by the time I had moved the fur out of the way to cut the nail bun got fed up and snatched the paw back. :( I have only managed to do a few on each bun as a result. I'm going to phone around the vets to find a place which cuts them cheaply.

Back