• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The adventures of Pie

Indy

Warren Scout
(sorry for all the boring threads and the stupid questions!)

The new girly is pretty much a blank canvas when it comes to handling, other than running away, hiding and flinching when you put your hand near her, she doesnt seem nippy or bad tempered when shes scared. The lady i got her from pretty much picked her up by the scruff of the neck and plopped her in the carrier so im a bit dubious....

So far ive had one hand (flat) next to her while shes nibbled on a crunchie... I can touch her cheek with a finger tip if im very quiet but thats as far as it goes. Improvement already :lol:

Ive been talking to her while giving her some more food and hay and she seems to respond to that so *hopefully* she wont be as scared as we first thought.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Bless her...just keep doing what you're doing, her confidence will increase in time...if she comes to you, put your hand down for her to sniff and work from there...I did this with Dolly and she always comes to me now with a nudge for acknowledgement :D

A scared bun will eventually succumb to curiosity if he feels there is no imminent danger. You can sit quietly in her area of action pretendig to do something else and reward her with a treat when she comes close enough. She will learn to take it from your hand and learn that hands brig good things!
Just don't flinch if she growls or lunges, or she will learn that that is an effective way of getting rid of an "enemy" which is your hand.

I put Indy in his run today and spent about an hour just tidying her hutch, giving her more hay and just generally pottering about and she seemed a little better by the end. She came to the doorway of her bed and had a good sniff of my hoody :) I gave her my hand to have a good sniff and she's fine until i move away (she shoots back into her bed leaving a shower of dust in her wake:lol:)

I never knew rabbits could get jealous though, Indy has turned into a big softy since she arrived. If im paying her attention all i can see from his hutch are a pair of hairy feet looped through the bars and a black nose:love:

Back