• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Hay shortage??

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Looks like we are going to have problems :(

Up until now i alternate between having 2 bales and 3 bales each week. As the weather is colder now I just asked if I could have 3 bales every week as we are running out all the time. They replied that they are going to have to reduce the amount we have to only 2 bales a week or possibly 1 :shock: Their supply is already half gone and at the current rate they only have enough to last to January. They have tried to buy in again but farmers are not selling.

I really hope we don;t have a seriously cold winter again as we are going to be really struggling to keep the buns warm. We are going to look around for somewhere else but the problem is we have to buy every week as we have no where we can store in bulk :?

We are facing a similar problem, so I feel for you! My supplier says he will run out by January.

I hope you do manage to find somewhere.

Celia at Kirkby told me this morning that the farmer who supplies her hay is now turning away casual buyers and only supplying his regular customers as he is expecting a shortage by January too.

It is a real worry, especially when you have a lot of buns.

The farm where I've been getting my bales from is OK at the moment, but I expect they'll be in the same boat come January. :(

Have you tried the Eaton Bray & Toddington farms? If I remember there is also a place in Pitstone. HTH

Not sure where they are, Steve knows the villages better than me :) we tired TC feeds, Hunters in MK and eventually got a rubbish bale from Hunters in aylesbury a couple of weeks back.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of cold bunnies this winter :(

Not sure where they are, Steve knows the villages better than me :) we tired TC feeds, Hunters in MK and eventually got a rubbish bale from Hunters in aylesbury a couple of weeks back.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of cold bunnies this winter :(

I will try to come up with some potential places you could try, it's been a few years though so my memory isn't as sharp. If I think of any I will PM you in case you don't see the thread. :)

I will try to come up with some potential places you could try, it's been a few years though so my memory isn't as sharp. If I think of any I will PM you in case you don't see the thread. :)

thank you.

Any where near Northampton would be good to as Steve works there :)

The shortage is rubbish down here too :(

I used to pay 2.50 a bale for the horses a few years ago... Just had to buy a load in and its 6.75 a bale :shock:

Crippled doesnt even begin to describe it!

thank you.

Any where near Northampton would be good to as Steve works there :)

I got a bale from the place in Sywell the other week, I don't know what their supplies are like but they have a horse yard there too so I guess they'll be wanting to have enough for themselves too... it was £6 with is more than I've ever paid - seemed reasonable quality, bit it has varied each time I've bought it.

Good luck hope you can keep supply.

Hannah :)

our shop had no hay at all last time we went to get some, and didnt even know when they were getting more in:(

If you seriously ever run out please do let me know. I can call my hay supplier and have an emergency large box sent to you the next day (as long as it's not a Wednesday as they don't ship on that day). :wave:

We are still getting excellent bales from our supplier in Cambridge - he was worried at one point but found a new supplier for himself who has a huge barnfull of excellent stuff!

Our farm has no more now - all gone apart from mega bales which are of no use to me or people with small furries as you would need a flat bed trailer or similar to be able to haul it - and somewhere to store it too. They also stopped selling to new customers a while back and were very good to look after those of us regulars with small animals (even in preference to horse owners who were trying to stockpile).

I've bought enough to keep me going for a short while but I have no idea what we will do when that runs out.

Not such a problem for folks with 2 buns or around that, but for rescues or multibun households it could be a real issue.

Our farm is at the stage with hay/straw that they were at in March of this year.

Not good.

Have had to resort to investing in big mangers with less in the litter tray to prevent less spoil.

We got one recently and they didn't say they were struggling. Getting a bit worried now, may get another bale just in case.

In a nearby town a truck shed it's load of hay bales in the middle of the road and my Mum saw it. I jokingly said to her 'why didn't you get a couple?!'.

Back