PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hay shortage??

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Looks like we are going to have problems :(

Up until now i alternate between having 2 bales and 3 bales each week. As the weather is colder now I just asked if I could have 3 bales every week as we are running out all the time. They replied that they are going to have to reduce the amount we have to only 2 bales a week or possibly 1 :shock: Their supply is already half gone and at the current rate they only have enough to last to January. They have tried to buy in again but farmers are not selling.

I really hope we don;t have a seriously cold winter again as we are going to be really struggling to keep the buns warm. We are going to look around for somewhere else but the problem is we have to buy every week as we have no where we can store in bulk :?

Sky-O
12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
We are facing a similar problem, so I feel for you! My supplier says he will run out by January.

I hope you do manage to find somewhere.

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Me too, a lot of our elderly buns are already feeling the cold :(

weeble
12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I think it might happen, our local supplier ran out half way through summer this year :(

Tiabrac
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Have you tried the Eaton Bray & Toddington farms? If I remember there is also a place in Pitstone. HTH

Tracy
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Celia at Kirkby told me this morning that the farmer who supplies her hay is now turning away casual buyers and only supplying his regular customers as he is expecting a shortage by January too.

It is a real worry, especially when you have a lot of buns.

The farm where I've been getting my bales from is OK at the moment, but I expect they'll be in the same boat come January. :(

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Have you tried the Eaton Bray & Toddington farms? If I remember there is also a place in Pitstone. HTH

Not sure where they are, Steve knows the villages better than me :) we tired TC feeds, Hunters in MK and eventually got a rubbish bale from Hunters in aylesbury a couple of weeks back.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of cold bunnies this winter :(

louise and Gus
12-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I went to our usual farm shop and they only had one crappy bale left :?

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I also asked about straw and they said it was really poor, more like dust :(

Tiabrac
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Not sure where they are, Steve knows the villages better than me :) we tired TC feeds, Hunters in MK and eventually got a rubbish bale from Hunters in aylesbury a couple of weeks back.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of cold bunnies this winter :(

I will try to come up with some potential places you could try, it's been a few years though so my memory isn't as sharp. If I think of any I will PM you in case you don't see the thread. :)

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
I will try to come up with some potential places you could try, it's been a few years though so my memory isn't as sharp. If I think of any I will PM you in case you don't see the thread. :)

thank you.

Any where near Northampton would be good to as Steve works there :)

Indy
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
The shortage is rubbish down here too :(

I used to pay 2.50 a bale for the horses a few years ago... Just had to buy a load in and its 6.75 a bale :shock:

Crippled doesnt even begin to describe it!

Tiabrac
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
thank you.

JUst done a search and found this http://www.smilelocal.com/farm/northampton

I will still think though.:)

KarenM
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I went to our usual farm shop and they only had one crappy bale left :?

Was that Little Burstead, Lou? I was there on Tuesday and bought 2 bales :oops: but they had quite a few left still.

Willow_Warren
12-11-2010, 08:22 PM
thank you.

I got a bale from the place in Sywell the other week, I don't know what their supplies are like but they have a horse yard there too so I guess they'll be wanting to have enough for themselves too... it was 6 with is more than I've ever paid - seemed reasonable quality, bit it has varied each time I've bought it.

Good luck hope you can keep supply.

Hannah :)

vee-jay
12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
our shop had no hay at all last time we went to get some, and didnt even know when they were getting more in:(

prettylupin
12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
If you seriously ever run out please do let me know. I can call my hay supplier and have an emergency large box sent to you the next day (as long as it's not a Wednesday as they don't ship on that day). :wave:

parsnipbun
12-11-2010, 09:14 PM
We are still getting excellent bales from our supplier in Cambridge - he was worried at one point but found a new supplier for himself who has a huge barnfull of excellent stuff!

The Duchess
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Our farm has no more now - all gone apart from mega bales which are of no use to me or people with small furries as you would need a flat bed trailer or similar to be able to haul it - and somewhere to store it too. They also stopped selling to new customers a while back and were very good to look after those of us regulars with small animals (even in preference to horse owners who were trying to stockpile).

I've bought enough to keep me going for a short while but I have no idea what we will do when that runs out.

Not such a problem for folks with 2 buns or around that, but for rescues or multibun households it could be a real issue.

Our farm is at the stage with hay/straw that they were at in March of this year.

Not good.

Have had to resort to investing in big mangers with less in the litter tray to prevent less spoil.

Elena
12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
We got one recently and they didn't say they were struggling. Getting a bit worried now, may get another bale just in case.

In a nearby town a truck shed it's load of hay bales in the middle of the road and my Mum saw it. I jokingly said to her 'why didn't you get a couple?!'.

Sparkle x
12-11-2010, 09:45 PM
i bought two normal bales last week, i usually buy soft meadow.
i will be going next week to top up, perhaps with a few more bales.
we do always have the hay from the stables if desperate.

BinkyBun
12-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I buy mine online. I can pm you some online suppliers if thats any good for you x

RampantRabbits
12-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Goodness me, i really hope you find somewhere. I dont know how you rescues are going to manage. Im struggling getting 1 bale for my 2, but if push comes to shove, at least shop bought hay wont be too expensive. Id hate to think i had to feed so many buns on the shop bought stuff. Not to mention the quality is usually ****.

DemiS
12-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Can you not get straw anywhere? Straw is warmer than hay, and you could use smaller ammounts of hay for them to eat

Rhianna
12-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Could you maybe use shredded paper to keep your buns warm? I get given copious amounts of it as we can't recycle it here. I use it for bedding and just put hay in the buns' litter trays and by their food and in their hay racks. I use it partly to reduce costs as I have nowhere to store a bale of hay and have to buy it in bags and with nine buns I was getting through an awful lot of bags in a week!

Mine mostly eat the hay that's in their litter trays.

susieb1
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
thank you.

Hi Blue Barns in Hardingstone ( on edge of Northampton) usually have some. That's where I get my bales from anyway.:wave:

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Could you maybe use shredded paper to keep your buns warm? I get given copious amounts of it as we can't recycle it here. I use it for bedding and just put hay in the buns' litter trays and by their food and in their hay racks. I use it partly to reduce costs as I have nowhere to store a bale of hay and have to buy it in bags and with nine buns I was getting through an awful lot of bags in a week!

Mine mostly eat the hay that's in their litter trays.

I wont use shredded paper, personally i think its dangerous. If they eat it, it can easily cause a blockage in the guts. With some of our rabbits having neurological problems I know they would eat it straight away :(

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Blue Barns in Hardingstone ( on edge of Northampton) usually have some. That's where I get my bales from anyway.:wave:

Just googled hardingstone and that is very close to where Steve works :) Couldn't find Blue barns though, where abouts is it please?

lildebs
12-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I was going to suggest straw too, but then thought of the potential hazards if the buns try to eat it, particularly as they are SN buns.
It's a shame you don't live near me as they are lush green bales for 4, plus as I'm travelling to Southport weekly, there's always the farmers in the country with notice boards out. I have a bale so that will last me a while, infact now that this has been highlighted I may ask her to reserve me a bale for when I need it :oops:

The Duchess
12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I was going to suggest straw too, but then thought of the potential hazards if the buns try to eat it, particularly as they are SN buns.
It's a shame you don't live near me as they are lush green bales for 4, plus as I'm travelling to Southport weekly, there's always the farmers in the country with notice boards out. I have a bale so that will last me a while, infact now that this has been highlighted I may ask her to reserve me a bale for when I need it :oops:

Might have to hire a van and drive Ooop North then.........:D

lildebs
12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Yea come Oop north! it's just up thill ....n I'll make ya a brew! :lol:

hurricanhoney
12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm off to stock up tomorrow at the farm shop the price hasn't gone up so far see what it is tomorrow. If anyone in Oxfordshire needs hay I can give them a couple of places to go.

The Duchess
12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Yea come Oop north! it's just up thill ....n I'll make ya a brew! :lol:

I'll give you a shout when I do - I like a good brew

susieb1
12-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Just googled hardingstone and that is very close to where Steve works :) Couldn't find Blue barns though, where abouts is it please?

Check out www.collinspetfoods.co.uk
It's at Blue Barns Farm, High Street, Hardingstone. Entrance is opposite the church.:wave:

Gem
12-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Our supplier stopped selling last month :cry: Really struggling down here, no one will deliver me a bale, having to make do with pet shop bags :(

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Check out www.collinspetfoods.co.uk
It's at Blue Barns Farm, High Street, Hardingstone. Entrance is opposite the church.:wave:

Thanks I will tell Steve when he gets home tonight :wave: