• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fat bunny gone skinny

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have a fat bunny who has gone skinny (the reason why being irrelevant in this instance) and been left with huge sags of skin everywhere?

If so, did the bunny have any problems with that additional skin at any point?

I dunno if this is in any way helpful but Mischa has a flap of skin under his chin, it's not really a dewlap it's where the skin stretched when he had head tilt. It doesn't affect him although occasionally the fur gets a bit stuck together when he's been drinking.

I dunno if this is in any way helpful but Mischa has a flap of skin under his chin, it's not really a dewlap it's where the skin stretched when he had head tilt. It doesn't affect him although occasionally the fur gets a bit stuck together when he's been drinking.

Thanks :) Yeh, its that kind of thing where the skin has stretched and not been able to go back into shape.

Only this poor bunny (Dunlop that I'm bonding) has a massive 'spare type' that hangs right round her back just above her tail, has a massive dewlap, has skin sags in front of both front legs, and also behind them, and whilst I can't get close enough to see, I think she has them on her tummy too (but that's just from her fur).

She's a good weight now (came into the centre a good weight after being a stray, so presumably lost the weight whilst free) but I didn't know whether there are likely to be any health concerns. I can imagine a few that might be an issue (sores, fungal infections, flystrike, etc) if she can't reach and clean it or it gets wet and she can't dry it, but didn't know if there was anything else I had missed (totally ignoring any internal issue with losing weight, of course).

Yes and no, yes I have had a fat bunny gone skinny and no the extra skin didn't make any difference but I was very careful to check the bunny morning and evening and check the excess skin for signs of infection and no there wasn't any

Yes and no, yes I have had a fat bunny gone skinny and no the extra skin didn't make any difference but I was very careful to check the bunny morning and evening and check the excess skin for signs of infection and no there wasn't any

That's brilliant, thanks. :)

That's brilliant, thanks. :)

It is especially important if it's during the summer when the flies are about but I didn't have a problem, but I always checked just to be on the safe side, probably OTT byt I would rather be safe than sorry, good luck

It is especially important if it's during the summer when the flies are about but I didn't have a problem, but I always checked just to be on the safe side, probably OTT byt I would rather be safe than sorry, good luck

Yeh, that makes sense. She's bonding at the mo so I'm not touching her given its very volatile (she's part of an attempted quad) but I definitely get that there are going to be certain key times. Her new home setup is going to be ideal for her (if the bonding works) because its in a stable so no issues with wet floor or rain or anything like that, which should hopefully eradicate those problems.

I've taken in a few very fat does, who were left with saggy skin when they lost weight. None had any bad effects from it though.

I've heard of does who were unable to clean themselves properly due to a saggy dewlap, but my saggy does always managed to throw their dewlap over to one side in order to clean themselves.

I've taken in a few very fat does, who were left with saggy skin when they lost weight. None had any bad effects from it though.

I've heard of does who were unable to clean themselves properly due to a saggy dewlap, but my saggy does always managed to throw their dewlap over to one side in order to clean themselves.

:lol: She is very clean so maybe she is a dewlap thrower. :lol:

I laughed out loud at that one and that's exactly what one of mine used do when when we got he weight down:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back