• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DAYTIME Fox Deterrants?

Debster

Mama Doe
I'm away for a few days for work at the moment and the OH called me tonight to say that after he'd shut the buns up for the night, he saw a big fox in our garden that jumped on to T&P's run :shock::shock: He chased it away, but obviously it has left us both really worried - we have lived here for over a year and never seen one in our garden, but now they have found the buns I'm sure they will be back :(

T&P get locked in their shed at night - its padlocked but I'm going to get another and the catflap is shut off, so I think they are as safe as they can be at night. The girls are shut in the hutch, which has shutters to fix over the meshed parts (thanks Fluffiebunnie!:D). I'm going to get padlocks for the hutch and first thing tomorrow I'm going to order the Fox Watch sonic deterrant that Parsnipbun recommends, plus see if I can get hold of some Scoot.

My worry is the daytime - you just cant rely on foxes only being out at night anymore. I work from home so am normally around, but OH is going to leave T&P in the shed tomorrow - he says he'll be worried sick otherwise and he wont be home until after dark. I'm so worried that runs are a weak spot and a fox will get through.

Is there anyway we can make the run more secure? The run is on grass and has to be because of Pickle's hocks, but we put mesh down under the turf around the perimetre of the run.

I'm so worred now, suffering from seperation anxiety anyway (I know, its sad :oops:) but this has made it worse :(

Could you get perspex shutters for the day that are see-through? Is the run pegged into the ground securely so it can't be lifted up?

Glad you have made use of my shutter idea for night time - I feel happier of a night time now I have done this. We don't get many foxes in the daytime in my area as it is densely populated with hundreds of people, dogs, cats around all teh time.

Expensive but how about some electric fencing around the garden or perimeter of the run?
Can you also make your fences into your garden higher? Run some wire along the top of your wall/fences?

I would make sure that despite hocks the floor of the run was also wired so that fox can't dig in, you can always lay fresh turf over the top of the wire to make it softer for feet.

I would be equally worried so don't feel bad, it's better to be safe than sorry. x

Thanks guys. My Dad suggested double-meshing the run and then putting extra wood on the outside the mesh is sandwiched. Would pretty much make it 2 runs in one really!:shock: I think I might suggest we re-turf and put mesh under the whole of the run as well, just to be extra safe.

Perspex shutters may also be an option. I might see if firstly we can have some electric wire around the run, then see what the options are regarding new fencing. I doubt our landlord would pay, but we will do it ourselves if we can.

Or failing that I'll just become a recluse, never leave the house and be on constant "fox watch"!:lol::lol:

Back