• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timing for Spaying 2 French Lops

Moskito

Young Bun
Hi all

I've read, re-read, and read again :? threads on here about spaying and got myself into even more worry I think!

I have 2 girl French Lops - they both live outside in a hugh home made hutch and have supervised access to the whole garden (and downstairs of house) when I'm at home. They are both currently un-spayed and obviously want to get them both done. They are both just over 7 months old and bonded together.

I hope you don't mind - but I'd like your input :) My questions really are

I assume it's okay to get both of them done on at the same time/same day and bring them both home together and keep them together afterwards?

When is the best time to do it? Do I do it just before the Spring, ie, before lots of flies are around, etc and it's not cold? Or now? Or?

I'd really prefer to keep them outside after the surgery if possible as they prefer it out there, they don't mind hopping about inside the house, but are certainly more comfortable together outside (they can use a cat flap as well, but I would obviously shut this to stop any stretching of the wound area). I would point out that they are both 4.6kg each and have lovely thick coats. So would it be okay to keep them outside? (which me obviously constantly monitoring them)

I assume I'd need to keep them hutched for a few days after? For how long?

I use a bedding of newspaper, Megazorb and hay and I do have a snuggle heat pad that I can use for them...although they seem to prefer lying at the front of the hutch where there is no bedding :roll: and move it all back if I put any there :roll:

Sorry for all the questions - but I just want to do what's right for them.
Thank you :)

I would get them both done together. They will need to be kept indoors for at least 24 hours after surgery. This really is essential as they wont be able to regulate their body temperature efficiently after a GA.

You could get them done now really, they are at the correct age and if you leave it til next spring you may get issues with hormone driven aggression/fighting.

Good post op' analgesia is also an essential. A Rabbit in pain wont eat and you would not expect a human to have a hysterectomy and then no post op' pain relief.

They will need to be kept confined for about 7 days to allow internal healing. Some gentle exercise is OK, but no jumping up onto things or manic binkies.

Yes, get them done at the same time and keep them together. For the bonding side of it, you want it done sooner rather than later.

However, obviously mild weather would be preferable generally, but by the time it gets milder you have the issue of breeding season and they are more likely to divorce.

In this weather you definitely can't leave them outside afterwards. After a GA they can't control their body temperature so need support and help to do that.

I would get them both done together. They will need to be kept indoors for at least 24 hours after surgery. This really is essential as they wont be able to regulate their body temperature efficiently after a GA.

You could get them done now really, they are at the correct age and if you leave it til next spring you may get issues with hormone driven aggression/fighting.

Good post op' analgesia is also an essential. A Rabbit in pain wont eat and you would not expect a human to have a hysterectomy and then no post op' pain relief.

They will need to be kept confined for about 7 days to allow internal healing. Some gentle exercise is OK, but no jumping up onto things or manic binkies.

Can't really add anything to this, but I would only use newspaper as bedding for the first few days post-spay so nothing gets stuck to their tummies.

And keep a close eye to make sure they don't chew their stitches :wave:

Phew, Jane agreed, but yes, the bolded bit is super important. Too many vets don't prescribe pain meds for after, and too many owners don't ask for them. Its vital- they need them to recover quicker and better.

Thank you all :).

I understand on the keeping them in bit. As I don't have a "set up" for keeping them indoors - what do you suggest I need?

I have lots of old towels/blankets for them, but no actual cage for them. For them, I guess I'd need something hugh! Or can I keep them in, say, the kitchen with lot of blankets/rugs on the floor? Its a small kitchen with no wires or anything that they can hurt themselves on (or climb onto!). If this set up was okay, do you think a couple of days in there and see how they are? I would take a couple of days off/work from home as well to keep an eye on them.

They're not litter trained yet - I've tried, but I think as they are 2 girls together un-spayed, they just go everywhere!. I'm going to try again after surgery. I can get a cat litter tray though obviously.

Thank you again.:)

Kitchen area with a dog bed or something for them to sleep in sounds perfect.Im sure they would use a litter tray if they had access as its different being in a kitchen to a hutch environment with straw & litter.You lucky person,having TWO frenchies!:D

Kitchen area with a dog bed or something for them to sleep in sounds perfect.Im sure they would use a litter tray if they had access as its different being in a kitchen to a hutch environment with straw & litter.You lucky person,having TWO frenchies!:D

Thank you for your reply :wave: - slight relief that the kitchen set up will work for them. *goes away and thinks that it's going to be interesting cooking meals with 2 Frenchies "assisting" me in the kitchen:roll:*

I've had a think over the evening and I've got lots of time off between Christmas and New Year, so I think I'll book them in or then and I'll have 6 days with them before I'm back to work.

2 Frenchies are a handful (still 7 months old and acting like 2 year old children!), but adorable with it :love:.

I hate to tell you but they dont get much better when older.My B is full of mischief & is even worse now she has a partner in crime.They always look like they are plotting their next comical caper!!!:lol:

Back