• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lights on at night?

charl86

Alpha Buck
Do people with house rabbits leave a light on for them at night?

Just wondering because since we've had Sooty we've had a little nightlight on in his the room where he stays at night when we go to bed, but last night the bulb went, dont know if I should I rush out today and buy him another nightlight? I feel a bit mean shutting the door on him when its pitch black but than again I do fuss to much :lol: Do other people leave lights on for them or just leave them in the dark?

Mine don't have a ligh for themselves, although those in my room, when I'm in my room at night, will have to put up with the TV.

They really don't need a light though. They don't have one in the wild and I always think its important to make sure things are as natural for them as possible.

Im surekeeping the light off will be fine.

My buns are happy with the natural day light during the day & lights off at night time for bed. :) My bodyclock would be messed up if I kept a light on all night! :lol:

Nope, i have lights out and complete darkness at night. They obviously manage fine cos when i get up in the morning their stuff if strewn across the room like they have been having a grand old time!

hmm.. so its just me being a worrier then!:lol: I aways think that wild bunnies and ones that live outside have some light from the moon and streetlights etc whereas inside with the curtains drawn it's pitch black. Hence why I put a little nightlight in there so it was still dark but it just let out tiny bit of light like he would have if he was out in the garden.

Leave the curtains open so natural light can get in?

Most wildie buns won't get street lamps though, and only have the moon when its clear and the moon is full or near full.

Leave the curtains open so natural light can get in?

Most wildie buns won't get street lamps though, and only have the moon when its clear and the moon is full or near full.

I have to draw them in winter to keep the heat in and the draghts out.
I suppose it does get darker outside in rural areas, I live in the middle of a city so theres always a bit of light around from somwhere.

I have a lamp on for my House rabbits purely for safety reasons.

I did try with the lights off but Hopper tried to following me to my bedroom which almost sent me flying. If I had to get up in the middle of the night I would have the same problem again. It was safer for me to have a little light on.

I think your buns will be fine either way :D

I seem to recall that rabbits have much better night vision than humans. Mine don't even seem to notice whether the light is on or off. And I will always switch the lights off at night for energy saving eco reasons!

I don't. Neither my lops nor lionheads have a light on at night. I do leave the light on during the evening when there are early nights but not actually at night. Whenever I am up cos I can't sleep and have the light on they don't like it. :roll:

In my bedroom I tend to open the curtains once I'm ready to turn the light off so in the morning they get the natural light. I can't really open the curtains with the others as I can't shut their door and their window opens onto the street so as soon as you turn a light on people (we live in a cul-de-sac) can see right through the house.

I leave a light on for ours during the evening but switch them off when we go to bed. After all in the wild they live in tunnels underground :D

no, they've managed fine in the dark for three years! they are in the living room, so they have the lights on before i go to work and when i come home, until i go to bed. :D

No. I put the light out when I go to bed. Thumper can see perfectly well in the dark, & get to his food & litter tray without the slightest problem.
Trouble is he thinks I can see equally well in the dark, so it's a slow shuffle not to tread on him getting up in the dark.:roll:

Back