• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range rabbits

lauralucy

Warren Scout
Hi just wondering if anybody has free range rabbits? i want to leave my bunny out of her pen during the day whilst we're at work, i dont want her to get bored, will she be ok if i let her out in the kitchen whilst we're at work, or would she feel better in her pen? she's a lop cross, about 8-12 weeks old, the kitchen is the safest room until i bunny-proof the rest of it. her pen is 5ft by 2.5ft, she comes out supervised whilst we're at home.

any advise welcome, thanks

Do you stimulate the environment?

I would personally probably leave free ranging until she is a bit older and bigger and less likely to sneak somewhere, but if you have a puppy pen you could potentially increase her space if you wanted to.

Do you stimulate the environment?

I would personally probably leave free ranging until she is a bit older and bigger and less likely to sneak somewhere, but if you have a puppy pen you could potentially increase her space if you wanted to.

Agree with that!

Try giving her some new toys, you can make cheap home made toys with toilet roll tubes, bits of rope, etc.

Kitchens can be very dangerous. There are lots of very dangerous cables. The power cables to your fridge, washing machine, cooker etc would all kill a rabbit if they bit through them. Rabbits can squeeze through VERY SMALL spaces, so even though you think they can't they may be able to get into places.

Iactuallydotheopposite-they stay in the cage while im out then free range once i'm home and and can supervise. Its a lot safer that way and at least I know they're secure and safe while im not around to babysit.

Iactuallydotheopposite-they stay in the cage while im out then free range once i'm home and and can supervise. Its a lot safer that way and at least I know they're secure and safe while im not around to babysit.

I do this. Pepy freeranges in our bedroom at night and causes enough trouble then!! :lol:

ok thank you i just worry about her getting bored i shall try some more toys, thanks.

how old until she can free range without supervision would you say?

I got Louie at 10 weeks and he was freerange from the start except for bedtimes when he went in a puppy pen. That only lasted for a few weeks as he hated it and banged the pen all night.

I then opened up the pen and used it as a barrier to cordon off the fridge/freezer and television wires in the conservatory/kitchen, these are the only wires. He also has the hallway when we are not at home but goes in the living rooms as well when someone is home.

Back