• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

biggest giant?

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
:wave: just a quick question.... which giant is the biggest breed? the largest we have had is french lops, and i know they are small compared to others out there....
we want a giant for a house bun.. not yet , but in the future .my oh would like the biggest bun we could get:roll::lol: and i think it would be nice to have a different breed...
thanks for any replies:D

I thought it was the German Grey Giant.... It was bred from a Flemish giant by a German breeder. They were bred for food and I believe were being sold to Korea to help fight the famine. The man breeding them fell in love with one of his 'stock' and decided to keep him as a pet and I think they might be breeding them as pets now. You can't really get them anywhere.

giantrabbitEPA0301_468x722.jpg

Here's a video. The hutches are disgustingly small. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8y4SR9mjU

I thought it was the German Grey Giant.... It was bred from a Flemish giant by a German breeder. They were bred for food and I believe were being sold to Korea to help fight the famine. The man breeding them fell in love with one of his 'stock' and decided to keep him as a pet and I think they might be breeding them as pets now. You can't really get them anywhere.

giantrabbitEPA0301_468x722.jpg

Here's a video. The hutches are disgustingly small. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8y4SR9mjU

HOLY MOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would eat me for it's dinner!!!

:shock: i dont want an edible one:shock:...poor buns:cry: ive seen this:censored: man before....unfortunately:cry:
you can see the "hutches" in the back ground:cry:

Conti's are the biggest you can get here :) Unfortunately they have a shorter lifespan

the biggest breed is the conti and they live adverage 3-4 years if your lucky they have weak hearts the oldest we have is apple she is 6 !!!
the rabbit in the pic claimed to be the biggest in the world but he was only
17lb and the guy in small so he looks bigger at the time i have captain jack sparrow he was my baby he was 3.5 ft long and weighed in 28lb !

There's a breeder near me who breeds Conti's from Holland/German stock. I guess he gets them from this kind of place. They're just as big.....but far better looked after! :(

Last edited:
:shock: Didn't know that. Always heard flemish are biggest, I'd never even heard of conit's until I joined here. Does the US not have conit's for some reason?

In the US there is a breed called the Flemish Giant, although it's not like ours. Ours only comes in one colour, the US version comes in a variety like our british and continental giants :)

thanks for the replies:D we just think that we would be great for a giant as it would be a house bun:D and the oh likes buns ,the bigger the better:shock: as they are generally , laid back and mischevious:roll::lol: i understand not all giants will have a great temperament but , it would be good to have another giant as we miss our frenchies:cry:

I think the breeder in that picture was in some program about the World's Fattest Pet or something wasn't he?!

Thistle's pretty big. He's a conti.

7235_182208643573_709523573_3888090_2257419_n.jpg

(Just for the record, that photo is not photoshopped and my sister is a normal sized person! :lol:)

I think the breeder in that picture was in some program about the World's Fattest Pet or something wasn't he?!

(Just for the record, that photo is not photoshopped and my sister is a normal sized person! :lol:)

hehe i love thistle :love: must come steal him ;)

:love:thistle:love:...im sure i saw a programme that had abun on it that was 167cm long:shock: maybe im wrong:? but it was ENORMOUS:lol:

Thistle! :love::love::love:

I know so little about large rabbits I thought all contis were dark color and had been wondering what on earth Thistle was but not quite liking to ask. :oops: Not much chance of me having a house bunny, but I gather Frenchies make very good ones.

Back