• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

elderly bonded males - new problem

tomrabbit

Young Bun
Hello, Newbie here :wave:
My 2 neutered males are brothers from the same litter, and have lived happily together with no segretation for 14 years. Now they are elderly gents, Tom has slowed down a lot, and spends much of his day snoozing. His brother Jerry however is showing no sign of ageing gracefully, still runs about like a march hare, and has started to hump Tom relentlessly. This behaviour began a few months ago while they were living out of doors, but now the weather has got colder, they are in their winter quarters with less room to run, and it is getting much worse. Is there anything I can do other than segregate them for the first time in their lives?

It would be so sad to separate them, but its likely its not going to ease. I would suspect maybe Tom slowing down has started this, and Tom may even have some sort of problem causing Jerry to act like this (ace names by the way).

How does Tom act when Jerry does it? What does he do?

If you separated them (as a last resort) could you have them living next to each other?

When Jerry humps, Tom either does nothing, or sometimes tries to get away, but sometimes he isn't able to get away because Jerry holds him. There isn't any aggression, as in biting or fighting, just dominance behaviour, and at other times they are just snuggled up together like they used to be.
I spoke to the vet today, and he didn't have any ideas other than to give it few more weeks for them to settle down, as they have just moved run, and if that doesn't work, then to separate them. I could separate them using a metal grill, so they can still sit close and touch noses, but it seems such a shame. It's incredible how differently they have aged. Tom's a complete couch potato, but you wouldn't guess that Jerry is a Jerry-atric!

would he tear up a cuddly toy, least he could mount that to his heart content and give his brother a break

obviously he would have to be observed to make sure he doesnt eat the toy, some buns love there toys others of course rip them up

I doubt it will ease do you have any otherpets around sometimes this could trigger a sudden urge

even new smells

It could be dominence over the new quarters if they have moved, how long ago did they move? It would be such a shame to split but you know best!

They moved a few weeks ago. They were living in a 2 storey hutch with a large run outside, but now they are in a small run along the inside of our conservatory, so they have a lot less space, but we are taking them out to run about each evening.
I did wonder about a cuddly toy. I think I will try that. I'm also thinking about making the conservatory more interesting for them to play in when they have their run around.
There aren't any other pets in the house.

Back