• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits out in the cold!

linda.b

Young Bun
I've got 2 rescue buns. they have a lovely heated shed. At the moment the heater is on as its only 1 degree outside. Just went and let the dog out for her last wee stop and the 2 rabbits are sat out on the concrete in the run! Why dont they go through the tunnel into the snuggly warm shed where there is a lovely fleece for them to lay on? I have the heater on as I've also got 5 guinea pigs in there (seperate cages) Does any one restrict access to the outside when its freezing or just let them make their own minds up where to lay? :?

I just let mine make their own mind up,last year they were out in the snow:roll:
They will be fine:D

I open up the run every day rain or shine shut up the playhouse and lower run at night though for extra security.

I know! I really worry too....mine have been shut up in their hutch at night because I cant safely make it all cosy without having the hutch stand alone...(it is a double decker 6 foot long one but even so!)...

They have a cover - but not a propper insulated one...just a waterproof one....with some 2 inch thick polystyrene on top of the roof (hoping it keeps it a bit cosier)...they have carpet, some bedding, some towels and some hay (but not loads) downstairs (oh and a cardboard box with ved bed in!( and then a vetbed, snuggle safe & a hooded litter tray stuffed with straw & hay upstairs....but I am still not convinced they are snug enough!!:cry:

cold...

My rabbits have a insulated hutch with small doorway into run, its left open all year round and they come and go what ever the weather.. Ive seen mine sitting in the run when its cold, but i think they know when to go in and take cover.. Rabbits have warm coats and dont view the out doors like we do..

Mine also stay out in their run rather than go into their cosy, hay-packed hutch. Their coats have got noticeably thicker. They seem to prefer the cooler weather to the summery weather. As long as you provide shelter for them, so they can go inside if they want to, they will be fine!

Thanks for all your replies. I feel a bit better now, seeing them out in their run. this is it below. I think I will extend the cover so the snow (when it arrives) is not on the floor of the run. This pic was taken when it was warm so the end is now blocked off and the piggies are in the shed 24/7.

piggies002.jpg

:wave:
I have 2 outdoor bunnies who have access to their run all year round. Every morning when I get up they are outside whatever the weather :roll:

The run has a waterproof cover on it & the hutch has an insulated cover & waterproof cover. Inside the hutch is shavings downstairs, with shavings & hay upstairs, but they still prefer being outside - I figure that if they get cold they will go inside.

Loving the piggies in the grass!

Our rabbits sit out in their run in all weathers even though they have a giant snuggly hutch to snuggle up on. I used to worry but I know they are choosing to sit there so must be happy with it.

I let mine go out in their run last year when there was fresh snow on the ground. They loved it; they romped around, snuffled through it, dug in it and even buried themselves in it. I only let them out for an hour, and when I came to dry them off, not even their feed were wet. They were so well insulated that they hadn't melted the snow. I guess their coats must keep them really warm; my understanding is that they can cope well with the cold, but not wet and wind.

:lol: I keep telling myself not to go for over kill to keep my pair warm....that is why I have just come home today with a special thermal insulation roll to make a DIY hutch snuggle, another snuggle safe and spare fleece blankets and extra thick cardboard boxes for smaller bedrooms inside their big hutch. :oops: My kids are protesting about the rabbits getting more things than they do.

I think most animals know what is best for them. So I think they'll be fine. I have guinea pigs and 2 rabbits in a shed as well with an oil radiator. But it went down to -8 yesterday (record breaking) and the heater only made the shed about 4 degrees, which upset me. I stuffed hay into all the piggies hutches but I still had one pig sitting out on top of the hidebox on a piece of fleece sleeping... good grief...

I felt like saying "aren't you cold??" crazy piggie. But I trust them to know when they need to warm up.

Back