• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Darcy - GI Statis

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Darcy has GI Statis:( It started this morning he refused to eat. We have been to the vet and he has had an injection of Metoclopramide and I insisted on a metacam injection too (the vet (my usual one wasn't in today) was not keen on giving rabbits metacam). He also gave me critical care to give Darcy after 8pm. I'm so glad I insisted on metacam as when we came home he was so obviously in pain/discomfort just moving.

My question is since 7.30pm Darcy has improved :love: and now has eaten some cabbage, dandelion, celery leaves and hay. He moved around like normal and is even snoozing now. Well now that he has eaten I'm not keen to give him the Critical Care syringe feedings as I don't want to stress him now his delicate tummy is starting to run again okay.

Please can someone just reassure me that this is the right decision tonight? thanks

As long as you can keep him self eating - through the night (so set your alarm!) then yes this is the right decision.

I only assist feed if bun refuses to eat voluntarily or is not eating enough voluntarily, but once they get going on their own it is far better for their prognosis to keep them going with whatever you can by themselves. We find hand picked grass, dandelions, fresh washed and wet herbs, apple leaves etc really get things moving and hydrate the gut, and then once they are up and running, hay, hay and more hay to get that gut back up to speed and sort out the caecal flora.

If bun wants to hop about encourage it as it helps motility also. :)

Oh I'm so happy!! Darcy is tucking right into his bowl of organic dandelion and a bit of ready grass!!!:love::love::love:

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Shall I just stay up all night then to watch him? Or how often should I set the alarm? I got a pack of Coneflower the other day as its supposed to be good for digestions and aid their immune system. I haven't added this to his bowl for fear of it upsetting the delicate balance tonight (they haven't had it before). What do you think?

Just to add he has been drinking lots.

Oh I'm so happy!! Darcy is tucking right into his bowl of organic dandelion and a bit of ready grass!!!:love::love::love:

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Shall I just stay up all night then to watch him? Or how often should I set the alarm? I got a pack of Coneflower the other day as its supposed to be good for digestions and aid their immune system. I haven't added this to his bowl for fear of it upsetting the delicate balance tonight (they haven't had it before). What do you think?

Just to add he has been drinking lots.

If he's tucking in and passing droppings and appears to be back to normal I would just check once in the early hours. If he's still a bit off colour I would check twice. If he needs syringe feeding I would be up every 2 hours personally.

I've fed the dried coneflower loads to mine, they love it. A sprinkle out of the blue shouldn't do any harm, you can rarely go wrong with dried herbs/plants. :wave:

p.s I feel your pain as we were in exactly same position with Nino last night. Managed to get him back on track munching by 11pm so we only got up once at 3 am to check he was still munching and pooping.
Well done for insisting on pain relief - it is ESSENTIAL. There really is no reason a bun can not have it unless they have a history of renal/liver disease, buns metabolise metacam/meloxidyl quite differently to other species and tolerate it very well. Your vet would have died if they knew how much our bun gets when he has his pain and bloat/stasis! :shock::lol:

Last edited:
If he's tucking in and passing droppings and appears to be back to normal I would just check once in the early hours. If he's still a bit off colour I would check twice. If he needs syringe feeding I would be up every 2 hours personally.

I've fed the dried coneflower loads to mine, they love it. A sprinkle out of the blue shouldn't do any harm, you can rarely go wrong with dried herbs/plants. :wave:

p.s I feel your pain as we were in exactly same position with Nino last night. Managed to get him back on track munching by 11pm so we only got up once at 3 am to check he was still munching and pooping.
Well done for insisting on pain relief - it is ESSENTIAL. There really is no reason a bun can not have it unless they have a history of renal/liver disease, buns metabolise metacam/meloxidyl quite differently to other species and tolerate it very well. Your vet would have died if they knew how much our bun gets when he has his pain and bloat/stasis! :shock::lol:

Sorry you went through this with Nino last night. Please give him a nosey rub from me. The vet was nice but I really did have to push and insist to get the metacam. I knew I couldn't get a bottle but was happy just to get an injection. If it comes back again tomorrow I will insist on a bottle. I knew Darcy was in pain but it seemed worse when we got home - movement really bothered him. I'm so happy he seems his old self now. I'm going to go give him a bit of this coneflower stuff. Paws crossed he likes it. :)

Great news - Darcy was fine throughout the night and was eating. He has been good again today eating when he fancied it and moving around fine. I even had a snooze on the sofa and got woken up by Darcy jumping on me for fuss!! :love: Thanks prettylupin for all your advice and suport xxx

Back