• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever...

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
stop worrying about outside bunnies in winter?

Just been out to do bunnies veg and its freezing out there- its the first night its going to get near 0 here.

Are there any signs to look for to show bunnies aren't coping with it? Both of mine seem bright, still sit out in their run in the cold and dont seem affected at all so far.

This is my first winter as a bunny mummy, and we're only at the start of it, but all the signs I'm picking up are that Spenser prefers the colder weather. Bit more concerned about my little rabbit nephew, who is a wee minilop and doesn't have all the fluff that big Spenser has covering him.

Got trouble with water freezing overnight yet?

This is my first winter as a bunny mummy, and we're only at the start of it, but all the signs I'm picking up are that Spenser prefers the colder weather. Bit more concerned about my little rabbit nephew, who is a wee minilop and doesn't have all the fluff that big Spenser has covering him.

Got trouble with water freezing overnight yet?

No we havent had anything freeze yet. They are in wendyhouses and have boxes stuffed with straw inside and fleece blankets. Im going to get them snuggle safes this weekend.

Spenser water bowl froze over twice in October, and was heading in that direction last night. He will not drink from a bottle, so bottle-snug no good. He actually doesn't drink that much, but all the same it is an incentive to me to get up earlier. :wave:

:wave: my first winter too - not looking forward to it! :( all mine seem to have nice fluffy coats so hopefully they will be ok. I havent had any freezing yet

How do people stop bowls of water freezing?

I don't really worry at all :oops:

Rabbits have winter coats to keep them warm, mine have a hutch packed with straw and they're inside a shed. I worried more before I saw that they often chose to sit outside in the cold and rain rather than go in - can't bother them that much!

My only worry is water freezing but it just needs checking more often. I'm sure healthy bunnies will be ok as long as they have some insulation.

No, I think many people keep worrying when they care, but obviously there will be exceptions who do care and don't worry..

I don't worry about mine until the waters start to freeze and thereafter.

Last year, with 6 lots outside, I was getting up in the middle of the night (about 4am) and reheating all the snugglesafes (which took 7 mins per snuggle safe, and many of them had two). But they all did ok.

This year, currently, all outside bunnies have at least one friend and much better enclosures so I'm more hopeful they will be ok, but I'm sure I'll still stress as much. :lol:

I worry about my two outside but I have done pretty much all I can to keep them warm. The shed is lined with plant fleece and hard board (lino on the floor) and I have heat pads in there. My lot are not bothered as long as it is dry, they hate damp weather.

With water bowls, I put a snugglesafe underneath when the weather gets really cold. IT seems to work.

I'm not worried about 8 of them as they're all tough ******* but I am a little concerned with our poorly girl. She copes fine with the weather, I just think I worry about her too much :oops:

I worry all year long.. Is it too cold, too hot? It's all part of being a bunny mummy :)

I am worried this winter will be colder than previous ones though :? :(

I'm moving the 2 hutched bunnies from the end of the garden, onto the sheltered patio so hopefully they'll be warmer.

I worry all year long.. Is it too cold, too hot? It's all part of being a bunny mummy :)

I am worried this winter will be colder than previous ones though :? :(

I'm moving the 2 hutched bunnies from the end of the garden, onto the sheltered patio so hopefully they'll be warmer.

Surely not - it was Baltic here last year! :shock:

roll on the spring!! i do worry about my outside buns, i've put in extra hay and straw and thay still sit outside!!
i guess there fur is thick enough to cope with it.

I wish I could bring all four of the outdoor bunnies in, I worry about them all the time I am at work, in the evenings, and overnight. We are already giving them snugglesafes, covering them up and giving them loads of straw.

Not had a problem yet with water freezing.

The only time I dont worry is the weekend daytimes. :(

On the plus side its only about 7 or 8 weeks to the shortest day and then we will be on the countdown to spring and summer again!! :lol::lol::lol:

Ive been worrying about Indy as he's been spending a lot of time in his nest ball since its been cold. Ive put a blanket over the hutch just to keep some of the wind out and he seems much happier now :)

I wish I could bring all four of the outdoor bunnies in, I worry about them all the time I am at work, in the evenings, and overnight. We are already giving them snugglesafes, covering them up and giving them loads of straw.

Not had a problem yet with water freezing.

The only time I dont worry is the weekend daytimes. :(

On the plus side its only about 7 or 8 weeks to the shortest day and then we will be on the countdown to spring and summer again!! :lol::lol::lol:

ditto!! i worry when im at work, i feel guilty if i go out at the weekend and thay dont get any freerange time! its more stressfull than being a mum!!!

I've kept rabbits outside for the most part of the last 25 years without any problems so I don't really worry about them and the cold any more! I guess I would worry if any of them were in a state of health that it could be problematic, but if I had any like that they wouldn't stay out in the cold anyway! But I don't worry about the healthy ones.

Well buns and poorly buns do fine in the winter

I've never had any winter weather problems. I think buns are made for the winter. I believe they can survive very low minus temperatures- much lower than ours will ever drop too. I do feed them a little more in the winter so they can keep warm.

I find having a mate helps or having a trio or group for comfort.
I have 8 out at the moment, but i've had three in for neutering so they will be going outside again next week.

I will give them something warm to snuggle up in, hay, extra towels etc, but i'm sure they will be fine.

I'm also planning to move a couple of my other buns indoors back outside who do have health problems, but they have been fine in the weather upto october. I'm sure they have there winter coats and if i did notice any issues with it i'd bring them back in again. May have to get some kind of heat pads for them though. Yes i am worrying abit, but from experience i know they will be fine.

Yes, I feel sorry for so many of ours already :( There was ice on top of the garden runs by 6pm this evening. There are at least 5 that look so miserable I wish I had space to bring them inside for winter :cry::cry:

I don't worry about them to be honest. They have lots of snuggly places to sit and have each other to cuddle up to, and they've been fine for the last few years. I just make sure the hay's topped up, have bottle snugs on bottles and if it's really cold, I get the kettle going to defrost water.
We have snugglesafes, and have brought Sonny our foster bun into the garage as he is on his own.

Back