• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corrugated sheets for weather proofing runs

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
We've been using heavy duty tarpaulin to cover the runs so that the buns can still get some exercise in bad weather. However, it makes the runs dark, we can't see in (from above) and it flaps about & eventually lets the water in (during heavy down pours). So, I went and bought two sheets of 6ft x 3ft clear plastic corrugated sheets from Home base on Monday. £7.50 each :) They work a treat and I wish I'd got them months ago :roll: :D I know that they may get brittle and break eventually but even if I have to replace them every 6 months they are well worth the money and work sooooo much better than the tarpaulin.

I also put a wanted ad on freecycle as we could do with a piece to attach to Bouncers run lid (the bit that isn't covered by the hutch) and a guy has offered me a 8ft x 3ft length which I'm collecting this evening :D

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts and experience in case anyone else is pondering over their run set up and what to do this winter :)

Yup totally agree with you. I had an open part on my run which was fine in the summer but once it started raining (A LOT UP HERE!!) I tried tarp but that still let some water in and sagged in the middle :roll:

I got the plastic and just wish i'd done it sooner its so much better and easier :D

Cloud and Barley have a bit that was reduced to £1 because it's a little bit melted! :lol: Still works much better than a tarp ever did though :)

I use this to cover all my runs - it's brill.
I use it along 3 sides of the runs in the winter too to cut down draughts and water ingress, but it allows the light in.

Oscar an Seas run has to be deep bedded because of Oscars motility, and the sheet means I can put down a good few inches of straw and hay and it doesn't get wet, even in the heaviest rain.

I use this to cover all my runs - it's brill.
I use it along 3 sides of the runs in the winter too to cut down draughts and water ingress, but it allows the light in.

Oscar an Seas run has to be deep bedded because of Oscars motility, and the sheet means I can put down a good few inches of straw and hay and it doesn't get wet, even in the heaviest rain.

That sounds lovely & cosy :love:

Well just spent another couple of hours with an angle grinder, power drill, screwdriver and tape measure but I think I've finally finished weather proofing the runs :lol: Very happy to put all the flappy, noisy tarpaulin away for now. It will come out again next summer - assuming we have one of course :roll::lol:

TBH - I didn't think I'd be able to do it all myself but my DIY skills have really improved as a result of "messing about" with the bun set ups + doing up old hutches & I actually rather enjoy it now :D

Well just spent another couple of hours with an angle grinder, power drill, screwdriver and tape measure but I think I've finally finished weather proofing the runs :lol: Very happy to put all the flappy, noisy tarpaulin away for now. It will come out again next summer - assuming we have one of course :roll::lol:

TBH - I didn't think I'd be able to do it all myself but my DIY skills have really improved as a result of "messing about" with the bun set ups + doing up old hutches & I actually rather enjoy it now :D

Photos :wave:

Ok, so this is run no.1, currently occupied by Paw-paw. Hopefully you can see where the patio slabs are wet and then not... :D

Weatherproofing001.jpg

Two 6ft x 3ft panels on a 6ft x 4ft run which means a nice amount of overhang & overlap. I couldn't fix the sheeting to all of the roof because the run has doors in the top on one side which I use regularly. So, I fixed one half on using these special little rubber screw covers (available from all good DIY places ;) & online ):
Weatherproofing005.jpg

and then the other half is removable but held down with bungees - I just drilled little pilot holes near to the edge, just big enough for the hook to go into and then the other end hooks onto the weld mesh. Like this:

Weatherproofing006.jpg

Weatherproofing002.jpg

It's still a bit of a pain having to take it on and off each time you want to get in the run but over all a lot less hassle than using tarpaulin and definitely better for the bun :D

This is Bouncers run, a bit simpler because the lid sits ON the frame and not WITHIN the frame of the run (unlike the other) + there are no doors in the top (we made this run ourselves as you can probably tell!). The run lid is hinged about 8 inches away from the front of the hutch and so I had to cut the sheeting and attach it in two separate parts so that the would open - hope that makes sense :?.

Weatherproofing003.jpg

Pic of both: Paw-paw on "her" box as usual, Bouncer on look out :D :
Weatherproofing004.jpg

how do they cope with the wind???? Stes moms buns need a roof cover on the enclosure BUT they are in the middle of nowhere and the wind is BAD up here :(

lovely

Looks great. It's brill, but a word of caution - it gets very hot in summer. And you have to wash it sometimes or it goes a manky green in parts like water bottles sometimes do. We use exterior quality ply-wood, with wood-preservative. But you can't win everything - in winter it's a bit dark. Maybe we should both use a combo!

I have always used these to cover up the runs I have had...they work a treat and are inexpensive :)

I also have tarpaulin going up and over the run to stop any draughts getting int.

Only trouble I find is that when I take the sheets off i usually tread on them and crack them :lol:

how do they cope with the wind???? Stes moms buns need a roof cover on the enclosure BUT they are in the middle of nowhere and the wind is BAD up here :(

They are in a fairly sheltered spot on the patio but in Bouncers case he can hop upstairs to his hutch if it gets really blustery and paw paw has a cosy run cover inside the run (which is also in the wooden clad covered end) + other things she can snuggle inside :D

Back