• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats the longest you have had a rabbit survive on steroids? Anyone else please?

Carrie14

Mama Doe
The longest I can find is a year or so:(

Long term.

I am going to bump this up through the day as I want as many answers as possible.

Not in health as I need as many people to see as poss. too.

Last edited:
My old boy has been on them 9 months now and is still alive my vet dont know why. But he is not in pain and is still enjoying life

I also made a thread on this that got several replies, so might be worth searching my past posts.

It will have been sometime since start of June.

Badger went on them the start of June and has been on them since, but has struggled with some side effects.

Thank you Collielover, may I ask why your vet doesn't know why he is still alive? I am really pleased to hear he is still enjoying life, thank you:)

Sky-o yours was one of the threads I found on here, none longer than a year, and my super optimistic vet said he has one that has been on steroids just over a year.

I guess I just want to find one that was on them for years not months:(

Yes, I thought exactly the same, but I guess because steroids are 'last chance saloon' that the results are not going to be positive.

That said, my best advice is to focus on every day and enjoy every day because that's more important than worrying about what time you do or don't have left.

Yes, I thought exactly the same, but I guess because steroids are 'last chance saloon' that the results are not going to be positive.

That said, my best advice is to focus on every day and enjoy every day because that's more important than worrying about what time you do or don't have left.

Just wish I knew her when she was well.

As he has been in renul failure for over 9 months now. He is also got athiritist and a heart mumer. and a few time we have helped him back from the brink of death.He lost loads of weight in the pass year and we found out he is diebtic too.But he has thought back loads of time.I wont let the kids go to him in the morning themself its always got to be me or hubby. He is 6 year old and is a Frenchie .I know one day he is going to pass away or I will need to make that dession and I will but at the moment he is happy and is not suffering.

Sorry my spellings bad but I am in bed myself at the moment and have had 2 hours sleep in the past 2 days

As he has been in renul failure for over 9 months now. He is also got athiritist and a heart mumer. and a few time we have helped him back from the brink of death.He lost loads of weight in the pass year and we found out he is diebtic too.But he has thought back loads of time.I wont let the kids go to him in the morning themself its always got to be me or hubby. He is 6 year old and is a Frenchie .I know one day he is going to pass away or I will need to make that dession and I will but at the moment he is happy and is not suffering.

Sorry my spellings bad but I am in bed myself at the moment and have had 2 hours sleep in the past 2 days

Crumbs I hope you are OK? Thank you for responding when you must feel dreadful:love:

He has got so many problems I can see why your vet is amazed he is still with you. What a tough little cookie:love:

Your spelling is not to bad. When I did spell check I had more mistakes in mine than you did and I didn't use big long words either:oops::lol:

As Sky-o says you have to look at the full picture. How long would the rabbit have lived comfortably without the steriods.
Smokey was on inhaled steriods for about 6 months before we lots him to something different ( we think).

Yes, I know. She would have been dead way before now if I had not rescued her. Who else would have spent over £700 trying to get a free ads bun back to health? It is just so gutting that I will NEVER have known her when she was well.

I had a filling this morning and they had the radio on. A song came on about saying goodbye and I was desperately trying not to cry as they were drilling my tooth. I'm just gutted...

I was just talking to o/h about the fact that if her previous owners had taken her to a vet, it would have cost less for antibiotics than I have spent on all the food to try to tempt her to eat.

Back