• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are these pellets any good....

lydz

Alpha Buck
Dodson and horrell pellets. They are what my bun is currently fed on - should i change them slowly or leave them? :)

It depends on the fibre content - a good pellet will have a fibre content of 18% or above. Science selective which a lot of forum members (including me) use is 19% fibre. It will tell you the fibre content on the back of the pack. :wave:

If you post the nutritional contents of the food, in particular the protein and fibre levels we can advise.

Well I think everyone should feed Bunny Basics food :) It has a minimum Fibre of 25% and a max of 29% so to me, it's amazing. It's recommended by vets and it makes their coats so shiney and soft:shock::thumb:

I was looking at this food.

please could you tell me the fibre content please

much appriciated

thanks

Unfortunately I was hoping someone on here used them and could tell me as I received these in a clear plastic bag with no info about them - so i have no clue. I think i will swap to something i know is definitely right gradually.

I use Allen and Page natural pellets which content is

Made from natural, wholesome ingredients including mint, alfalfa, grass, linseed and oat fibre these pellets are completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Designed for pet rabbits or as a maintenance diet for any adult rabbit, these pellets should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean fresh water. Protexin is included to assist gut health and boost the immune system, by ensuring a healthy balance of micro-organisms in the rabbit's digestive system.

COMPOSITION Oil 3.25% Protein 12.00 Fibre 23.00%,HIGH FIBRE, LOW STARCH

I've been doing some research on what food to swap Grace onto. I have found Burgess Excel which is made up of 36% fibre - that must be good, right? Does anybody use this?

Detailed nutritional info:

Beneficial Fibre36%
Crude Fibre17%
Protein16%
Vitamin C50mg/kg
Vitamin D3 *1,500iu/kg
Vitamin E *120mg/kgCopper **12mg/kg
Vitamin A *15,000iu/kg
Oils4%
Ash6%
Calcium0.90%
Phosphorous0.5%

Last edited:
It doesnt say on their site. Might be worth emailing them to ask

http://www.chudleys.com/products/chudleys-pet/rabbit.html

Rabbit Pellets contain grass, wheatfeed, de-hulled soya bean, nutritionally improved straw, barley, wheat, molasses, limestone, salt and dicalcium phosphate. It’s nutritional content is: Protein 17.0%, Oil 2.5%, Fibre 14.0%, Ash 7.5%, Moisture < 14%.
Found this on another forum- I would double check though

Rabbit Pellets contain grass, wheatfeed, de-hulled soya bean, nutritionally improved straw, barley, wheat, molasses, limestone, salt and dicalcium phosphate. It’s nutritional content is: Protein 17.0%, Oil 2.5%, Fibre 14.0%, Ash 7.5%, Moisture < 14%.

are these ok to feed or not?

I would have thought is a rabbit has an unlimited supply of hay then the fibre content would only really dictate how much you feed of particular brand.
Dobson and Horrell are generally well respected. (Ash always makes me a bit wary)

I feed science selective because the bunnies seem to like it and they can get their teeth in to it, some of the pellets are really small so they just chew with the back teeth not the front. I haven't ever seen the Dobson and Horrell pellets but lots of people on here feed the muesli version (chudleys rabbit royal) which I have feed before and the rabbits seem to like it apart from my previous bun used to selectively feed, only eating the coloured bits.

I've been doing some research on what food to swap Grace onto. I have found Burgess Excel which is made up of 36% fibre - that must be good, right? Does anybody use this?

Detailed nutritional info:

Beneficial Fibre36%
Crude Fibre17%
Protein16%
Vitamin C50mg/kg
Vitamin D3 *1,500iu/kg
Vitamin E *120mg/kgCopper **12mg/kg
Vitamin A *15,000iu/kg
Oils4%
Ash6%
Calcium0.90%
Phosphorous0.5%

I use them, my vet reccommended them, he said the bunnies at his veterinary uni did well on them. Decent price and they are easy to get hold of too. My bunny goes nuts for them. They come in 2, 4 or 10kg bags. The bag says 39% beneficial fibre, 19% crude fibre.

are these ok to feed or not?

You generally want more fibre than protein so no I wouldn't say that was a good pellet.

I use them, my vet reccommended them, he said the bunnies at his veterinary uni did well on them. Decent price and they are easy to get hold of too. My bunny goes nuts for them. They come in 2, 4 or 10kg bags. The bag says 39% beneficial fibre, 19% crude fibre.

That's the adult version i believe, so even better as Gracey gets older! The one i quoted is from junior/dwarf version. Thank you for you input - i think i will give these a try - fibre content seems brill and vet recommended :D

Giz has always has burgess (he didn't like ss) he has burgess light as it has a higher fibre content then junior/dwarf and adult vet says it great he always has a healthy weight and healthy all round and he :love: it goes mad for it :wave:

Back