• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible dental issue/eye infection. Any ideas?

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
I fed the boys this morning as normal, and everything was fine with both of them. I got home this evening and went to give them their veg, and Gizmo's eye is really red and gooey. He's eating fine, so I don't think its his teeth (and fingers are crossed that it isnt) He's had it before, but it turned out there was a piece of hay trapped under his eyelid, but I've had a good look and there is nothing in it. Its only one eye, from the other side you wouldnt know anything was wrong!!
This is his good eye:
DSCF5988.jpg

and this is his bad eye:
DSCF5982.jpg

DSCF5987.jpg

DSCF5984.jpg

its obviously been really weepy, as all the fur around it has flattened out, when its normally really fluffy and fine. He doesnt seem to be in any pain, has been out freeranging with mister daisy and did a few binkys, but it obviously not right! he seems to want to keep it closed too :( Any ideas what it could be? I looked on google, and am hoping its something as simple as conjuncitivtus!

TBH its hard to see his eye that well in the photo.
However I'd put money on conjunctivitis even though you can't locate a foreign body.
Would definitely advise a trip to the vets ASAP though.
And as 1st aid I'd clean gently with a cold compress to get rid of any 'gunge'.
Hope you get this resolved & your lovely fluffy Gizmo's eye is sorted ASAP.

Had a vets appointment last night, she had a good look to make sure there was no foreign body in his eye causing the reaction, which there wasn't. She put some dye in, which she said would show any abnormalities.
He has a small superficial scratch on the surface of his eye :( She isnt sure if he did it himself, if daisy did it, or if it was caused by hay etc. He's got some eye drops, he needs to have 1 drop, 3 times a day for 7 days, and if it hasnt cleared up by then, they'll have to flush his tear duct.
It seems to look a lot better already, after only 3 doses, so after 7 days he should be back to normal :)
Mister Daisy seems to have picked up on the fact that Gizmo isnt 100%, and has started humping him again, but they're still snuggling up, so fingers crossed they're still friends!

Good to hear Gizmo's eye is recovering well.
He looks like such a character with his big 'do'.
Hope things continue to go well.

Back