• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grinding or noises?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Not sure which section to put this in. I have a 19 week old Mini Lop who has recently over the past few days started making noises. He was neutered yesterday btw. the noises sound like muffled clicks or teeth possibly grinding, what do you suspect? It isn't always happening, usually when he is laying down on his side...but listening up close it sounds like hes chatting. Could it possibly over grown teeth? I'm so paranoid!

Last edited:
Our bunnies will grind their teeth when being petted and is because they are comfortable and enjoying the rub down however grinding of teeth otherwise can be a sign of pain. Is it possible he's hurting from the procedure? Did he get pain meds from the vet for the next few days?

Our bunnies will grind their teeth when being petted and is because they are comfortable and enjoying the rub down however grinding of teeth otherwise can be a sign of pain. Is it possible he's hurting from the procedure? Did he get pain meds from the vet for the next few days?

He got meds that day but I new nothing about meds for after (until earlier today) but I can't get the the vet for the next few days! Unless I go to a different one neer my work. I suspect he may be in pain, hes a bit grumpier, doesn't want to be petted as much as usual and has pulled a few of his stitches out the litter sod. I feel terrible!

I would definitely go to another vet then. We got 5 days of pain meds for our little guy. If he's pulled the stitches I would get him back for a checkover because if the stitches are out earlier it can be dangerous. Our vet was telling me that their intestines can sometimes slip through if the stitches are removed early. I hope your little guy is ok.

I would definitely go to another vet then. We got 5 days of pain meds for our little guy. If he's pulled the stitches I would get him back for a checkover because if the stitches are out earlier it can be dangerous. Our vet was telling me that their intestines can sometimes slip through if the stitches are removed early. I hope your little guy is ok.

Well I've checked the area out, there is no swelling, no redness or dis colouring of any abnormal terms, and the wounds that is ever so slightly open has started to heal and mending already. I'll see if I can get to the vets before work!

I didn't mean to sound so fatalistic. :shock: I realized after I wrote my post that I sounded very worrisome. I'm sure if the wound looks clean that everythings ok. :love: I would though try to get some more metacam because I'm sure he's in discomfort. Our little guy has been on metacam since Saturday and he hasn't even looked at his bits since he's been home. I'm sure your bun was having a go at it because it was itching/hurting him. :shock:

I didn't mean to sound so fatalistic. :shock: I realized after I wrote my post that I sounded very worrisome. I'm sure if the wound looks clean that everythings ok. :love: I would though try to get some more metacam because I'm sure he's in discomfort. Our little guy has been on metacam since Saturday and he hasn't even looked at his bits since he's been home. I'm sure your bun was having a go at it because it was itching/hurting him. :shock:

Thats what I think, I do feel so terrible, I can only hope I can get some pain relief for him. Can I get it over the counter at the vets or do I need to take him to be checked out before they let me have any?

I would call the vets and see if they will prepare some for you then you could maybe pick it up without taking him back in unless you really wanted his wound looked at. More than likely if it looks clean to you then it should be ok. I think we worry more than the vets anyways! :lol: Maybe you could even send a courier for it if you can't get into the vet. I would be a little concerned about the vet you have though if he didn't provide you ongoing pain meds for your little guy. I would probably be looking for a better rabbit vet going forward. It's crazy that they think they don't need pain meds after their nip and tuck.

I would call the vets and see if they will prepare some for you then you could maybe pick it up without taking him back in unless you really wanted his wound looked at. More than likely if it looks clean to you then it should be ok. I think we worry more than the vets anyways! :lol: Maybe you could even send a courier for it if you can't get into the vet. I would be a little concerned about the vet you have though if he didn't provide you ongoing pain meds for your little guy. I would probably be looking for a better rabbit vet going forward. It's crazy that they think they don't need pain meds after their nip and tuck.

I'll call them in the morning, courier wont get here soon enough, I'll ahve to travel after work :( Well the vets generally are really good, at least I thought so anyway....

I don't think there's anything for pain relief. I would put a hot water bottle in his cage if possible and under where he likes to lay just to make him more comfortable. I don't know how uncomfortable he is but if he's had a go at his stitches he must be hurting a little bit. If he ears feel cool to the touch then that's another sign he's hurting and I would then maybe wrap him in a warm towel from the dryer to ensure he's warm enough. Other than pain meds for him I don't know of anything else you can do for him. I hope the vet can arrange for the pain meds for you so you can give him some relief. The metacam is super sweet to the taste and should be easy to administer. If I were closer in location ( I'm very far away) I would have been inclined to send you our last dose as our little guy is jumping all over the place with no sign of pain now. Let me know how your little guy is doing!

I don't think there's anything for pain relief. I would put a hot water bottle in his cage if possible and under where he likes to lay just to make him more comfortable. I don't know how uncomfortable he is but if he's had a go at his stitches he must be hurting a little bit. If he ears feel cool to the touch then that's another sign he's hurting and I would then maybe wrap him in a warm towel from the dryer to ensure he's warm enough. Other than pain meds for him I don't know of anything else you can do for him. I hope the vet can arrange for the pain meds for you so you can give him some relief. The metacam is super sweet to the taste and should be easy to administer. If I were closer in location ( I'm very far away) I would have been inclined to send you our last dose as our little guy is jumping all over the place with no sign of pain now. Let me know how your little guy is doing!

His ears are quite warm, should this reasure me? And as he doesn't usually stay in, he's sleeping where ever on my floor he pleases lol. thankyou for that kind guesture anyway :)

Yes that should be reassuring. I'm sure he's doing ok and just a wee bit uncomfortable. I would just keep looking at the wound to make sure it looks like it's healing nicely and of course giving your little guys lots of :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Yes that should be reassuring. I'm sure he's doing ok and just a wee bit uncomfortable. I would just keep looking at the wound to make sure it looks like it's healing nicely and of course giving your little guys lots of :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Thank you ever so much, If i manage to get a break at work I may run to the vets (literally) and pick up some meds if they have any. I hope he'll be okay until I get home from work at 5 :/

Back