• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit wee - dark orange/brown colour?

Becky92

Young Bun
i went with a friend to visit her family and being nosey went to see their rabbit. I looked in the hutch of the healthy looking rabbit & the woodshavings were discoloured with this orangey dark colour and there was a leak from the hutch at the back where there was a small puddle stain of rabbit wee that gad dried and gone to a fence colour ( red cedar i think its called )

I asked them what it was and they said the rabbit has ALWAYS had this.

Any ideas ? :S

p.s its hasnt got any blood in

Last edited:
i went with a friend to visit her family and being nosey went to see their rabbit. I looked in the hutch of the healthy looking rabbit & the woodshavings were discoloured with this orangey dark colour and there was a leak from the hutch at the back where there was a small puddle stain of rabbit wee that gad dried and gone to a fence colour ( red cedar i think its called )

I asked them what it was and they said the rabbit has ALWAYS had this.

Any ideas ? :S

p.s its hasnt got any blood in

As I understand it, diet can cause wee to be strange colours, eg carrots can make it that colour. Hopefully, someone will come along to give you correct info if I'm wrong.

oh right :/ the rabbits fed on excel pellets & hay/straw. sometimes veg but they said it gets the runs

It's not unusual for rabbits to have dark orange or red wee. Normally if they are fed carrots or dandelion it occurs. :)

ETA. Ooooooooooh there were no posts here when I started. :lol:

oh right :) thanks every1

I was just concerned & i told them id get back to them with what i could find out

My two had dark red urine when they were younger. Diet may have played a part but I discovered that they had been eating the flock off my red wallpaper too.

My two had dark red urine when they were younger. Diet may have played a part but I discovered that they had been eating the flock off my red wallpaper too.
:lol::lol:

It sounds pretty normal - especially if they've always had it and appear to be happy and healthy. :)

Did it look something like this?
d9a19bdb-1.jpg

I went out to check on Peppa before I went to bed to find this:shock::shock:
I'd only had her a few weeks and was panick stricken.....
I phoned the vets who told me to bring her in for the night and keep her warm and fetch her in to them next morning...
After about 3 hours of her tearing around the lounge with no chance of settling I thought she would be happier back in her home, as she looked so well in herself..
I took her to the vets and felt such a fool when they told me rabbits wee can be many diff colours :oops:
But I think you'll agree It looks pretty scary.
im sure your friends bun is fine..Good luck.:D
Oh I must add she had eaten her first piece of carrot that day.

Yes it was like that. I worried because it was late at night and I thought Tia may have been bleeding but wiped her and nothing so I sat with her until she went again hours later everything was back to normal. I patted myself on the back for not over reacting and getting the vet out of bed. Oh well it shows we care :lol:

Mabels wee is really dark at the moment but the 'rescue' fed her lots of carrots I think.

Yes it was like that. I worried because it was late at night and I thought Tia may have been bleeding but wiped her and nothing so I sat with her until she went again hours later everything was back to normal. I patted myself on the back for not over reacting and getting the vet out of bed. Oh well it shows we care :lol:

We'll know for next time ehh! :lol::lol:

Back