• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobby just tried to bite my face!

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
I think her nails are to long! The last time she went to the vets the normal vet wasn't there so I had a diff lady one. Well she cut my angel Carlo's no probs. Bobby was her normal feisty self and kicked off big time. The vet said: I think she's had enough! and didn't cut them:cry:

I am not sure because she won't let me look if she has some callous':cry: I tried wrapping her in a towel and she tried to bite my face.. I feel awful, I can't handle her she is too powerful:cry: I have her booked in for sat... does anyone cut their own buns claws..

I do, but it's a 2 person job. One to hold and one to cut - we both end up covered in scratches every time

I think her nails are to long! The last time she went to the vets the normal vet wasn't there so I had a diff lady one. Well she cut my angel Carlo's no probs. Bobby was her normal feisty self and kicked off big time. The vet said: I think she's had enough! and didn't cut them:cry:

I am not sure because she won't let me look if she has some callous':cry: I tried wrapping her in a towel and she tried to bite my face.. I feel awful, I can't handle her she is too powerful:cry: I have her booked in for sat... does anyone cut their own buns claws..

I do Frank and Petals by myself x

Want me to come and help, Shelly?! I've got mad skills when it comes to strong bunnehs! ;)

I am a bit scared of her:cry: Ali that would ace, but you live on the other side of the world! :cry:

Also I think she maybe stolen by you!:lol:

How do you guys do it..

When I used to cut Willows,he was a very angry conti,Id put him on a towel usually on top of the feezer,as he was out of his comfort zone for a few moments :shock::lol::lol:I would then pick up his paws somehow holding his back end by bringing my holding paw arm around then snip with the the other hand,always keeping a warey eye on his teefies.Once finished i would give him a big cuddle and kiss,which he hated:love::love::love::love:

When I used to cut Willows,he was a very angry conti,Id put him on a towel usually on top of the feezer,as he was out of his comfort zone for a few moments :shock::lol::lol:I would then pick up his paws somehow holding his back end by bringing my holding paw arm around then snip with the the other hand,always keeping a warey eye on his teefies.Once finished i would give him a big cuddle and kiss,which he hated:love::love::love::love:

Bobby is so gentle, and she has some definite giant in her, I think her mum was a frenchie, and her dad was a big up eared bunny almost rex like.

She is sooo gentle and placid usually but you mess with her feet she is a nasty pastie, the agressive way she went for me shocked and upset me!

Do you use special clippers, and do you watch for the vein.. (my question mark key is broken, my grammer isn't quite that bad)

I do all of my buns myself. I buy the small animal nail clippers from pets@home, they are realy good. my rabbits hate having their nails trimmed, penny hated it at first and it took her a long time to get used to it but eventually she would just sit and let me clip them for her. :)

I only ever take mine to the vets Shelly but the vet did say there's no reason why they cant be done at home. I just feel comfier as i'd hate to stress the buns out (the vet already does that for my two)!!

Good luck with it - i know it's not easy.

xxx

I want to give it a go, I know Carlo won't be a problem, i might see if there is a youtube vid that I can watch!.

Bobby kicks off at the vets big time, I always end up with rabbit related injuries :cry:

Sounds to me like that other vet chickened out of doing it.... think that's a bit wimpy for a vet and a bit **** to leave an unconfident owner with a bun with long nails! :shock::?

If you feel brave enough to do it yourself, i'd recommend these clippers:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-scissor-nail-clippers-for-cats-and-dogs-by-mikki-15576

and just see how bun is sat normally on your lap if you pick up one paw at a time, for some buns this is less stressful. The alternative position I would use and do use for the dew claw and for fussy buns is to tip bunny back into the the crook of my arm so sat in a C shape and held firmly.
If you have someone who can help you either hold or clip this can be helpful. Cutting Nino's front claws is like trimming the nails on a crocodile! :roll::lol: He snaps at anything and everything, it's funny but it hurts... if he's feeling particularly in a crocodile-mood even I get my OH to help by clipping whilst I hold because it can make life a lot easier all round and reduce time and stress for all. :D:wave:

I give Alfie and Bubbles a manicure but it's definitely a two person job because I can't hold AND cut. To be fair though, although they both loathe it being done, they're usually very good and hardly struggle..... if they were trying to bite my face I'd probably take them to the vet. :oops:

I highly recommend this:

I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting into the quick and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap
her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail. View the video from the link

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165483

In the end, I bought the above.

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

Sounds to me like that other vet chickened out of doing it.... think that's a bit wimpy for a vet and a bit **** to leave an unconfident owner with a bun with long nails! :shock::?

If you feel brave enough to do it yourself, i'd recommend these clippers:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-scissor-nail-clippers-for-cats-and-dogs-by-mikki-15576

and just see how bun is sat normally on your lap if you pick up one paw at a time, for some buns this is less stressful. The alternative position I would use and do use for the dew claw and for fussy buns is to tip bunny back into the the crook of my arm so sat in a C shape and held firmly.
If you have someone who can help you either hold or clip this can be helpful. Cutting Nino's front claws is like trimming the nails on a crocodile! :roll::lol: He snaps at anything and everything, it's funny but it hurts... if he's feeling particularly in a crocodile-mood even I get my OH to help by clipping whilst I hold because it can make life a lot easier all round and reduce time and stress for all. :D:wave:

Thanks guys, I will give it a go, Bobby only has ever tried to bite me this once, and it was because I tried to pick her up wrapped in a towel, if all four paws are on the ground, or the kitchen top, and I have Ian to help i think I will be fine, I know where to cut from I can actually see Bobby's vein through her claw

I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting into the quick and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap
her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail. View the video from the link

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165483

In the end, I bought the above.

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

:shock:... Thats horrible, not the tool the snapping makes me feel a bit sick urgh!

Last edited:
i do mine myself and the placid ones i can do on own the ones that get a bit scard just need my partner to hole them while i clip :D

i do mine myself and the placid ones i can do on own the ones that get a bit scard just need my partner to hole them while i clip :D

I am feeling more positive about it now :D..

do you do it in any particular order?? front then back? or the other way round??

Back