• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of bonding pen?

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
If my new bun gets on OK with her vet check tomorrow I am intending to begin bonding her with Furby Fri after work. I've looked at some of the bonding photos on here and the cages buns are bonded in look really small. What's the minimum size that's OK for two buns - one an average sized bun and the other a baby?

I was going to use a run but I also have a rabbit cage I was given (far too small for a bun to live in but ideal for a poorly bun who needs cage rest). Would it be best to start with the small cage and then work my way up to the run? I just hate the idea of my buns feeling claustrophobic but I think George and Gemma's bond may have taken so long and been so difficult because I used a whole (neutral) room to start with.

I so want this bond to work. Furby is clearly lonely and the poor new bun has been taken away from her siblings and looks so little and lost in her hutch.

Is new bun neutered? That's the first step for a successful bond.

When bonding four I used a 2 x 2 space initially then went up to 4 x 2. A lot of people use indoor cages for bonding a pair.

Hi Karen.

I always use a small indoor cage tray base with a puppy pen around it. Makes for easy access/removal of rabbit if necessary.

I've just e-mailed my bonding leaflet over to you too in case it's of any help.

Good luck. :D

3 x2ft to 4ftx2ft depending on the size of the bunnies. Smaller the better for bonding. I personally think 2x2 is too small. Buns need to be able to escape each other to some degree.

When bonding four we used 4 puppy pen panels in a square, it allowed them all to flop out without lying in a water bowl :). I've used this size for a pair before too. Like mentioned above cages are ok until you need to get in for emergencies like to separate a possible fight. How old is your girl? I found our 2 girls easier to bond being 3 months old when bonded with 2 boys. They are still at the young playful stage and are used to being with other buns as it wasn't so long ago they were in with their mom and siblings. They're now just over 4 months and we're now looking to get the baby giant done. It depends on the bun I guess. I thought that the fact they've started living in a group would mean they would be well and truly used to the boys by the time hormones came along. Not saying this is the right way, but this has worked for us so far. Touch wood :)

Back