• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lionhead rabbits in my area?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
this may be in the wrong place, but i thought the rehoming section would be the wrong place too so oh well, idm if it has to be moved:)
i have two lionheads and they both live separately, but are going to be neutered and spayed soon. i want to try and bond the pair of them, but as benji has the tendency to be agressive even to people, i worry that he and nahla wont be compatible, because she is a very shy timid bun, and i think she'll be frightened by him.:roll:
i will try bonding them, but whether it works out or not i still really would like another bunny. i have room to keep them as a pair and a single, three singles OR a trio, whatever the case may end up being.
so. my question is, does anyone know of any lionheads needing a home in the basingstoke/newbury/reading area? or any rescue centres in those areas? i live in basingstoke and would be willing to travel a little way. i feel picky asking for lionheads but they are my absolute favourite:oops:
i haven't exactly got permission yet, (and to be honest my parents are so anti-rabbit that their answer will almost definitely be a no) but i just wanted to know my options.
i'd be so please if anyone could help, and sorry for the ramble!:wave:

Hi Chloe

I'd be happy to give bonding your two a go if you like.

I am Junction 3 of the M3. But it would need to be well after they are both neutered to allow for hormones to die down.

In my experience, lionheads do tend to suffer from nerves a bit more so can appear to be agressive but are actually defensive from being scared.

I have a lionhead myself and several lionlops and all are quite similar in temperament.

I should also add that I actually rehome rabbits too, but I personally wouldn't rehome to someone who already has single buns unless it was obvious that they weren't going to bond and that a new friend was a last resort.:D

Hi Chloe

I'd be happy to give bonding your two a go if you like.

I am Junction 3 of the M3. But it would need to be well after they are both neutered to allow for hormones to die down.

In my experience, lionheads do tend to suffer from nerves a bit more so can appear to be agressive but are actually defensive from being scared.

I have a lionhead myself and several lionlops and all are quite similar in temperament.

help with bonding them would be so very appreciated!:lol: i just know that i would totally fail at it myself. i am planning to get them both done before/very shortly after the new year, so would i wait about a month or two after before bonding them/sending them to you for bonding?

and yes nahla is very very nervous. i've had her since the end of august and tried everything to help her to trust me, but she's not having it at all. i'll just have to persevere:) benji is very loving towards me, but isn't a huge fan of other people. i'm a little nervous about his neuter op as he is five... do you think it's maybe actually too risky to neuter him? it crosses my mind a lot...

and in reply to your other post, yes i totally understand what you mean. the thing is, getting one of them a hus/girly bun would really be a last resort if they just would not bond. i hate that at the moment they have to live alone.
if they bonded that would be brilliant, and i would consider not getting a third bun, or at least waiting a while until trying to create a trio. i'd never want to bring a bun home and not have it be completely happy here.

Hi Chloe,

Just wanted to say I also live in Basingstoke :wave:

Theres a rescue in South Ham called Le Couer if you wanted to get another bun.

Also, I would be willing to help with the bond as a last resort if required!

Hi Chloe,

Just wanted to say I also live in Basingstoke :wave:

Theres a rescue in South Ham called Le Couer if you wanted to get another bun.

Also, I would be willing to help with the bond as a last resort if required!

ahh thankyou for the offer! you live so close to me, how convenient:p hehe.
yes i looked on Le Couer today just being nosy, but it didn't look like there were any buns on there that would suit me:( most of them were bonded pairs.
as i said to the duchess, i would adore another bun but it would probably be a last resort if they just didn't bond... and depending on whether it was benji or nahla who i wanted a friend for, the bun would also have to have a certain personality... we shall have to see how bonding goes first!:shock:

ahh thankyou for the offer! you live so close to me, how convenient:p hehe.
yes i looked on Le Couer today just being nosy, but it didn't look like there were any buns on there that would suit me:( most of them were bonded pairs.
as i said to the duchess, i would adore another bun but it would probably be a last resort if they just didn't bond... and depending on whether it was benji or nahla who i wanted a friend for, the bun would also have to have a certain personality... we shall have to see how bonding goes first!:shock:

I imagine bonding would be pretty simple, I've always found rabbits react differently with rabbits than humans if that makes sense! The Duchess is very very experienced with bunnies!

I don't think they put single buns on the website, I got a bunny from Le Couer this year and she wasn't on the website, always best to speak to a rescue. But last resort as you say!

http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/starting_a_new_life.htm - Listed as Black and White Dwarf Lop... Mine!!

I imagine bonding would be pretty simple, I've always found rabbits react differently with rabbits than humans if that makes sense! The Duchess is very very experienced with bunnies!

I don't think they put single buns on the website, I got a bunny from Le Couer this year and she wasn't on the website, always best to speak to a rescue. But last resort as you say!

http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/starting_a_new_life.htm - Listed as Black and White Dwarf Lop... Mine!!

aww! she/he is so lovely!:D

help with bonding them would be so very appreciated!:lol: i just know that i would totally fail at it myself. i am planning to get them both done before/very shortly after the new year, so would i wait about a month or two after before bonding them/sending them to you for bonding?

and yes nahla is very very nervous. i've had her since the end of august and tried everything to help her to trust me, but she's not having it at all. i'll just have to persevere:) benji is very loving towards me, but isn't a huge fan of other people. i'm a little nervous about his neuter op as he is five... do you think it's maybe actually too risky to neuter him? it crosses my mind a lot...

and in reply to your other post, yes i totally understand what you mean. the thing is, getting one of them a hus/girly bun would really be a last resort if they just would not bond. i hate that at the moment they have to live alone.
if they bonded that would be brilliant, and i would consider not getting a third bun, or at least waiting a while until trying to create a trio. i'd never want to bring a bun home and not have it be completely happy here.

Well I'd be happy to help so just let me know if you need me.

I would certainly neuter a boy of 5 providing there are no underlying health issues, provided the vet was very experienced with all aspects of rabbit care and in particular GA procedures. In good hands, a 5 year old boy should present no undue risks if healthy. I've neutered bunnies as old as 9. Definitely worth doing as the rabbits could potentially live until 10-12 years of age so you'd want them to have a friend and not be alone for the rest of their lives.

I'm bonding at the moment - doing a trio for a member on here. All going very nicely at the moment and it's just such a joy to see bunnies make friends. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253802

Well I'd be happy to help so just let me know if you need me.

I would certainly neuter a boy of 5 providing there are no underlying health issues, provided the vet was very experienced with all aspects of rabbit care and in particular GA procedures. In good hands, a 5 year old boy should present no undue risks if healthy. I've neutered bunnies as old as 9. Definitely worth doing as the rabbits could potentially live until 10-12 years of age so you'd want them to have a friend and not be alone for the rest of their lives.

I'm bonding at the moment - doing a trio for a member on here. All going very nicely at the moment and it's just such a joy to see bunnies make friends. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253802

those bunnies you're bonding are so gorgeous!!!:love: awww it does make me want nahla and benji to be friends:(:lol:
thankyou for the reassurance about benji's neuter, i feel much better about it now. our vet says they only lose about 1% of rabbits every year, which to me seems good. i will just have to keep my fingers crossed.
Nahla is around 6 months so i'm not as worried about her getting spayed, the only sad thing is the thought of them shaving her beautiful fluffy belly!:lol:
when i come to bonding i may take you up on your offer, thankyou very much:)

those bunnies you're bonding are so gorgeous!!!:love: awww it does make me want nahla and benji to be friends:(:lol:
thankyou for the reassurance about benji's neuter, i feel much better about it now. our vet says they only lose about 1% of rabbits every year, which to me seems good. i will just have to keep my fingers crossed.
Nahla is around 6 months so i'm not as worried about her getting spayed, the only sad thing is the thought of them shaving her beautiful fluffy belly!:lol:
when i come to bonding i may take you up on your offer, thankyou very much:)

It'll be really good to get her spayed as soon as you can because then she won't have developed any hormone driven behavoiurs and it won't take quite so long for her to get over the hormones post op. You know what, when the girls have their neuters, it's so funny because they normally end up with a little fluffy line where their scar is - it seems to grow quicker there than anywhere. Bit like a fluffy curtain.:D

It'll be really good to get her spayed as soon as you can because then she won't have developed any hormone driven behavoiurs and it won't take quite so long for her to get over the hormones post op. You know what, when the girls have their neuters, it's so funny because they normally end up with a little fluffy line where their scar is - it seems to grow quicker there than anywhere. Bit like a fluffy curtain.:D

haha that's so cute! and yes i plan to get her neutered some time in december, with some of my november wages:) she's not badly behaved yet, just very very skittish, so i plan to get her done soon before she hits the teenage phase lol.

I really think that one reason that Tiger who I am bonding is so calm with these two ladies is because he didn't ever get to find out what hormones were. He was snipped very early (about 4-5 months) and hadn't developed any habits - except pooing in one place luckily.

We don't actually know how old he is as he was a stray, but we guess he could be called a baby - well look at the baby face.:D

I really think that one reason that Tiger who I am bonding is so calm with these two ladies is because he didn't ever get to find out what hormones were. He was snipped very early (about 4-5 months) and hadn't developed any habits - except pooing in one place luckily.

We don't actually know how old he is as he was a stray, but we guess he could be called a baby - well look at the baby face.:D

he's totally adorable:love:

Back