• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone know the correct dose of metacam??

loulabell

Warren Scout
hi r/u
i had my little boy toby neuterd today, the vet did'nt say anything about giving him metacam, but i have some left from when i had toby's mum spayed in october, it said its ok opend for 6 months.
what i would like to know is should i give him some? and how much?
its metacam for dogs 1.5mg/ml and toby weighs 1.43kg.
thank you. X

It would be around 0.3ml but I would speak to your vet first as they may have given him pain relief to cover him for the next day already :)

It would be around 0.3ml but I would speak to your vet first as they may have given him pain relief to cover him for the next day already :)

thank you, i will check with them first he seems to be ok eating pooing etc..
im guessing if he was in pain he would'nt be eating. X

Hiya if you had him neutered at Penrose they will have given him a 24hr painkiller! I just checked Dudleys invoice and it also doesn't mention it but I specifically asked this when I picked him up!

the formula my vet use is:

dosage (in ml) = weight in KG x 0.1 / 1.5

so for e.g., if the bun weighs 2 KG, then dosage = 0.13 ml

the last time we use this formula is about 3 to 4 mth. ago on my bun Bobby, it works very nicely

My vets never prescribe ongoing metacam for male buns as the 24hr injection is usually sufficient as its less invasive an op. The girls all get it though and I usually get told to use the 10kg mark on the internal syringe though I've no idea how much that is. The best thing would be to ask your vet.

Back