• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am at my wits end

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
:cry:Hi all
The list of damage this weekend
third set of speakers wire
mouse wire
2 of the wires off the printer
land phone wire
another wire from the computer i don't know what that does
I just don't know what to do with her all she wants to do is get were Ive blocked off, she broke through the blockade by the computer it took seconds to do that damage, it seems like she is on a mission to find wires and severe them, hubby is going mad :censored:i am trying my hardest to have her as a house rabbit but i can see her being moved to the shed if she carries on she hasn't been out of the cage since Sunday night i am waiting for hubby to calm down what should i do with her? she is neutered and she has a husbun HELP ME xxxxx

Instead of blocking it off, get pipe insulation from B and Q (77p a strip) and put all your wires into that. We did and it works wonders!

:cry:Hi all
The list of damage this weekend
third set of speakers wire
mouse wire
2 of the wires off the printer
land phone wire
another wire from the computer i don't know what that does
I just don't know what to do with her all she wants to do is get were Ive blocked off, she broke through the blockade by the computer it took seconds to do that damage, it seems like she is on a mission to find wires and severe them, hubby is going mad :censored:i am trying my hardest to have her as a house rabbit but i can see her being moved to the shed if she carries on she hasn't been out of the cage since Sunday night i am waiting for hubby to calm down what should i do with her? she is neutered and she has a husbun HELP ME xxxxx

You really need to bunny proof an area to keep her and her husbun in.

You said she broke through your 'blockade' - what did you use?

A bunny will always try and get where its not meant to, its their nature to explore and investigate. I know its difficult, i had the same problem, but now our living room is 90% bunny proof when they are out and they don't free-range when they can't be supervised, but they do have a largeish pen attached to their 'base' when we can't keep an eye on them.

Are they in your living room / dining i take it?

Some one told me that rabbits hate the smell of tea tree oil. I have put some on the cables and so far my rabbit hasnt been near them! We were like you - he chewed through any wires he could get his teeth on!

they are in the extension room in a large indoor cage but i intended for them not to be in the cage long only nights, the extension is were the computer is, we are going to swap the computer for a lap top soon and hopefully not so many wires but as for the phone she had to get to the back of the fish tank to chew that and you wouldn't think she would have fit and we don't even know when she did that as she is always supervised in there xx

I've had a rabbit do that too :( Only because I didn't realize he was a cord chewer, he only did it because I was limiting his pellets.

Maybe you could let them free range in a certain room/rooms, instead of the whole house? That way it would be easier to bunny proof. Or put on cord protectors, or just block off the computer room with a baby gate.

they are in the extension room in a large indoor cage but i intended for them not to be in the cage long only nights, the extension is were the computer is, we are going to swap the computer for a lap top soon and hopefully not so many wires but as for the phone she had to get to the back of the fish tank to chew that and you wouldn't think she would have fit and we don't even know when she did that as she is always supervised in there xx

Without trying to sound harsh, i think you need to be realistic about what you have in the room where bunnys live :)

Bunnys love cables, they treat them as twigs, as they would in the wild and will chew and play with them.

Bunnys can fit down such Tiny holes, it's crazy isnt it?. Biccy has fit down a 2 inch gap beside our sofa before, and he's over 6 inches wide! :shock:

Could you possibly purchase a small pen to put round the computer or use some NIC panels to build up a small 'wall' around it to stop them getting at it?

Also, the cable covers from ikea are awesome for protecting cables. Wrap the cables in the protectors, then wrap electrical tape round the covers, very tightly about 2-3 layers. Schuette is a member i always quote as having the most awesome indoor setup, as i think it looks neat and tidy and bunny proof at the same time. If you can find her threads, they are amazing and show what you can do, quite simply :)

Hope this helps.

Gray

Have you tried putting a playpen around the computer?! ;) That along with the wire protecting should work.

I'm afraid you'll have to work around the buns....not them around you. :)

I bought plastic cable protectors from the pound shop. That keeps the wires safe -my buns will occassionally try and pick up the protector but they can't chew through it. I think I might steal Graham's suggestion of wrapping electrical tape around the protector to be doubly secure - an EXCELLENT idea!

I bought plastic cable protectors from the pound shop. That keeps the wires safe -my buns will occassionally try and pick up the protector but they can't chew through it. I think I might steal Graham's suggestion of wrapping electrical tape around the protector to be doubly secure - an EXCELLENT idea!

You can steal it, but its not my idea :lol:

Schuuuuuueeeeetttttteeeeeeee? :wave: lol

Gray you make me blush. :lol:

I find the easiest thing is to have all my cables either up out of the way or wrapped within this tubing stuff I get from Ikea, the most determined bunny can get though that stuff though so I also use NIC panels to block them off.

This is one room. All my electrical stuff is in the wardrobe and then the black tubing (which actually isn't Ikea stuff, it's something more sturdy, no idea where we got that from :oops:) has the mains lead and the silver tubing (the Ikea stuff) has the downstairs tv lead in it. I do have a lamp also, the lamp is one with a clamp that attaches onto my bed - Mischa knocked the last one on the floor and broke it :roll:) The lead for that is threaded behind the bed and blocked off with plastic baskets under my bed. It also has the silver Ikea tubing stuff on it 'just in case'.

_IGP8725-vi.jpg

This is my other room. The white thing to the right is the internet cable which goes under the floorboards. Most of my cables are in the basket thingy under the desk (also from Ikea!!) and the mains lead is that yellow thing which has two lots of silver tubing and then electrical tape and then blocked off with panels.

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

I find the best thing is to keep all the cables as much in one place as possible and then use two or three methods to keep them safe. One just isn't enough usually. They are clever creatures!!

Last edited:
Oh and I'm not even going to tell you how many leads I have lost to bunny moufs before coming up with these solutions!! :lol:

...'cos if i could have a setup likes yours Schuette, i'd be very very happy :)

I quote your setup more than i quote anyone elses :oops:

I noticed :lol: I'm very flattered. :oops:

ETA. My Dad helps me a lot. I come up with the ideas and he puts them into action. ;)

Bunnies are not allowed in the rooms where the cables are, or the cables are protected with plastic tubes (very cheap at Ikea) fixed in place with tape, or with wooden panels with mesh wire and/or plastic sheets on them. My OH's computer is completely blocked off with a few such panels and so is the TV set. It took some work and the house is surely not elegant, but it's all worth it for the bunnies! Also having Ikea furniture helps because I'm not going to care much if they chew it.
A more aesthetically pleasing result can be had with plexiglas panels.
I also have wireless headphones, a wireless mouse and keyboard, etc.

Bunnies are not allowed in the rooms where the cables are, or the cables are protected with plastic tubes (very cheap at Ikea) fixed in place with tape, or with wooden panels with mesh wire and/or plastic sheets on them. My OH's computer is completely blocked off with a few such panels and so is the TV set. It took some work and the house is surely not elegant, but it's all worth it for the bunnies! Also having Ikea furniture helps because I'm not going to care much if they chew it.
A more aesthetically pleasing result can be had with plexiglas panels.
I also have wireless headphones, a wireless mouse and keyboard, etc.

Yes I try to have metal legs if possible and stick to covered MDF stuff. They seem to ignore the fake wood but love to chew real wood. :roll: Hence the reason why in that second pic the panels extend round by the slope, which is topped with wood, and also round the door. Smudge loves doors :roll:

You do have to be careful with the plastic stuff from Ikea. They can get through it if they really think you are depriving them of something!! That's why we have the panels over the tubing in my room as Mini got through it and started on the tv wire. :lol: Fortunately she didn't get far before I came in and noticed.

are they locked away at times that you cant watch them, then out when you can? thats what we did when we first got them... everytime we see them go near a wire etc we stamp our feet. this stops them from chewing something they shouldnt. we can now leave the hoover out when they are about and they ignore the wire:D

I am a woman on a mission:lol:
I got up early today and have spent all morning bunny proofing the room she is in, it is the worst possible room you could expect rabbits to run free range but its the only room i can fit the big cage in as it is a big room. The computer has now got a metal pen round it and the play station and tv has a big piece of solid plastic bent round it i am really hoping that this is enough as i fear if anything else get ruined she will become a outdoor hutch rabbit which i didn't really want please send vibes for this to work then Maisey and Hubby can be friends again:lol: xxxxx

I am a woman on a mission:lol:
I got up early today and have spent all morning bunny proofing the room she is in, it is the worst possible room you could expect rabbits to run free range but its the only room i can fit the big cage in as it is a big room. The computer has now got a metal pen round it and the play station and tv has a big piece of solid plastic bent round it i am really hoping that this is enough as i fear if anything else get ruined she will become a outdoor hutch rabbit which i didn't really want please send vibes for this to work then Maisey and Hubby can be friends again:lol: xxxxx

It might be worth getting some plastic tubing just as an extra defence! Just incase she breaches your barricades. :lol:

Have you tried putting a playpen around the computer?! ;) That along with the wire protecting should work.

I'm afraid you'll have to work around the buns....not them around you. :)

Wish i knew that bit of advice before i had bunnies :lol:

Seriously though - a house bun didnt work for us because of the problems you've mentioned. We had to move them into the outhouse but it was best for all around (and certainly for the safety of Lucky).

I read on here somewhere that locking them up in too small an area at night can lead to destructive behaviours and now we've taken the doors off the hutch so they get a whole room all the time.

I really hope you can find a solution. Some people here have fantastic set ups but it was something we just couldnt do here do to all sorts. Good luck! xx

Back